Chapter 2: Making Friends

As always I would love it if you let me know what you think about it :3

Special thanks to Baby_Muffy for being awesome and sweet and reading my story and always supporting me, I love ya girl! :D

Hope you enjoy,

-> Desyre

                I got to my house, and I felt bone tired. But not from exercise or anything like that, I think it was more from everything that had happened in school. I wasn’t used to so many things happening to me, I was used to just waiting, sitting on my ass and counting the hours. Imagine staying on your bed for a whole year only getting up to go to the bathroom and eating, and then suddenly you have to walk to the grocery store about two blocks from your house. You would end up exhausted and out of breath just walking the first block. That was what was happening to me, not feeling anything in years and then feeling it all in a rush was a little too much for me. I got home and went to my room to leave my backpack and get changed into a pair of baggy sweats and a hoodie, before going into the kitchen and checking what I’d make for dinner today.

                Mom was always late and when she got home she was always tired and well, I discovered early in life that if I wanted us to eat, I had to cook it myself. At first everything I made was burned, black, and crispy. Mom still smiled and told me it was yummy when she came home and in a sense I thanked her for that, because it was what kept me going. I know it was stupid thinking that she really liked what I cooked but when I was small I did believe her and it made me feel good. Now, I wasn’t a chef or anything like that, but my food was pretty good. I checked the vegetable drawer and saw potatoes, tomatoes, onions, chives, leek, and garlic. I checked the freezer and noticed we had steaks. I took them out and set them on the counter. I could make mashed potatoes and steaks with my special sauce. I grabbed a pot filled it with water and stuck the steaks in it. It’s something I always did, de-froze meat in water first before putting it in the microwave in de-froze mode. I grabbed another pot and filled it with water. I set it on a stove to boil. I grabbed the cutting board and set to peeling and cutting the potatoes. I put them in the pot of water and let them boil, when they boiled I’d turn down the heat and let them cook.

                I set then to cutting the tomatoes, putting them in the blender, then cutting half an onion and putting it in the blender too. I did the same with the chives, the leek, and added a few sliced garlics. Then I added a little bit of water to the blender before turning it on to mix everything, after all I wanted the sauce to have consistency. I stopped the blender and put the sauce in a pot before putting it in the burner beside the mashed potatoes. I added species to give it a little more flavor and set it to boil. Right then the potatoes boiled and I lowered the fire to let it simmer, in about fifteen minutes I’d melt some butter with warm cream and finish the mashed potatoes. I checked the sauce one last time before running to my room grabbing my music player and running back down the stairs. I never liked to leave the kitchen alone when I was cooking something. I had done it once before and learned the hard way that something as simple as soup could make a big mess. I went to the stereo and connected the music player before pressing play. The xx started playing and I started humming to the rhythm of Sunset.

                I continued cooking and watching the pots dancing around to the music lost in my own world. I eventually set the burner where the sauce was off and put the steaks on to cook. I mashed the potatoes with cream, milk and butter and let them rest, only having the steaks left to finish cooking. Finally it was all done and I served the food in plates before setting the table and everything. I sat and waited for a little. Mom was normally late for dinner, so I didn’t mind it and just sat to wait. Half an hour went by. I picked on my food a little, mom wouldn’t mind, my stomach was growling, after all. An hour went by. I cut a little of the beef only to try it. Oh. The sauce is just perfect. An hour and a half. Her boss must’ve asked her to stay a little later. Two hours. I gave up and starting eating, I’d beg for mercy when she got home. I finished eating and noticed mom was about to be three hours late. I sighed and decided not to conclude anything. Instead I washed my dish and sat back on the table. Three hours and a half later I was fighting to stay awake. Six hours later I heard something and woke with a start. I turned on the light and there was my mom standing, her clothes clearly disheveled, her hair a mess and her make up a mess too, looking like a kid who got caught with the hand in the cookie jar. Oh, this is the end of it.