Chapter 6

It was Saturday morning and almost everyone was at Circle Park in sunny Los Angeles. News about the governor coming to the city spread through social networks, because of this, everyone cleared their schedules and attended the recognition of Dr. Jauregui. They also knew of all the things she did for the people and how much she deserve the recognition.

Lauren was sitting on one of the chairs on the stage while she listened to the speech Mr. Anderson was giving. She took a look at her family down below from time to time. Camila was looking beautiful as always and then there was her daughter who looked like a princess, her princess. Next to them there was Dinah and Normani who had bored expressions on their faces, but tried their best to hide them. The doctor just slightly laughed at them because Lyla seemed to be more into the speech and she was only six.

"And here is the star of the morning, Doctor Lauren Jauregui." She heard the governor introduce.

Everyone started clapping like crazy and nerves slowly started to form inside Lauren. She stood and wiped her now sweaty palms on her black slacks and then buttoned her blazer. She took the place of Mr. Anderson with a smile on her face even though she was freaking out on the inside and then reached over to level the microphone to her height. Clearing her throat, she began to speak.

"Thank you. Thank you all for joining me on this day of recognition. I told him I didn't need one, but he insisted so here I am." she chuckled which everyone else did as well.

"I didn't really prepare a speech or anything, but I just want you all to know that I don't do what I do for awards or money or anything materialistic. I do it because of the feeling you get when you see the relief on the patient's face when you tell them everything is now okay. The rush of happiness you get when you figure out what was wrong with the person after many failed diagnosis -she looked to the governor-. Some cases you get attached to and they become part of you. Then when they are discharged, they stay in your heart and memory forever. I'm honored to be receiving this award today, but really, the smile on my patients is the best award I could ever get." Lauren finished and everyone stood on their feet and clapped. 

"That's my momma!" She heard her daughter say.

"That's my aunt Lo!" Followed Lyla.

An assistant got the big black plaque and handed it to the governor. He then stood beside Lauren and handed it to her, but they stay frozen in that spot and smiled to the camera who took multiple pictures. They were that they would definitely be tomorrow's front page of the news paper. It was when both of the important people were going to head down the stage when it happened.

A shot of fire was heard and it happened too fast that no one knew how it happened or who it was meant for. The happy, cheerful event soon turned into a moment of fear and chaos. Camila looked for her wife but when she found her, she was on the floor of the stage, bleeding from somewhere in her body.

Special agents quickly got the governor to safety and some stayed behind to protect the wounded doctor. Lauren was unconscious, she wouldn't remember anything until she'd return from the shock. Amber didn't see anything, but when she did, she broke down. Normani held Dinah, she wanted to go help, but the paramedics were already putting her inside the ambulance and Camila was climbing in while Amber stayed with the Kordei's.

No one knew if Lauren was going to be okay.

_

Waking up from what seemed like a long nap. Lauren took a look around and then heard the familiar sound of the heart monitor. She was a patient, not the one diagnosing them, the patient. She never expected to be the one on the bed, she was always used to being on the other side of this. All of the sudden she felt pain on her chest so she looked down. There she found a chest tube inside her, draining blood and air out. What made her get a collapsed lung?

"Ah, you're awake Lauren." Dr. Ross said as he entered her room.

The green eyed doctor immediately rolled her eyes, Him? It had to be him?

"Tell me what happened." she ordered him.

"Well you were at the award ceremony thing with the governor and you got shot. We don't know if it was meant for you or Anderson, because you two were close together the shooter could've missed or something. Anyway, the bullet got your lung and it collapsed. Luckily it didn't hit your heart or any major blood vessel. We got your blood pressure back up with pain killers and fluids. Paramedics did a needle decompression and gave you a oxygen mask on your way here." He summarized.

"The bullet is still in my chest isn't it?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"You would've mentioned it if it was out. Don't forget, I'm a doctor too." she said in a duh tone.

"Right, well the surgeon will be taking it out later on today. Your family is in the waiting room, I'll tell them to come right up."

A few minutes after Dr. Ross left, she heard little quick footsteps down the hall like if they were running. She was right, she saw Amber run by her room. Lauren thought she was going to keep going but then she heard Camila tell their daughter to come back because she had passed momma's room.

"Momma! Are you okay?" Amber asked worried as she climbed on the bed with her.

"Yes baby I'm fine."

The doctor then looked up at her wife who was standing at the end of the bed and so she called her over.

"You okay?" Lauren asked.

Camila smiled, "I'm supposed to be asking that."

"Yeah, but knowing you, you were close to having a breakdown."

"I was, you got shot! The FBI is investigating the event by the way."

"Yeah, but I'm fine. It's just a collapsed lung, but good, I want to know who shot me."

"Just a collapsed lung Lauren? What would've happened if it was your heart? I wouldn't be ready to be a widow."

"I know babe, but look, I'm okay and that's what matters okay?"

"Okay." Camila said as she leaned down for a kiss which Amber scrunched her nose up as a sign of disgust.

Normani, Dinah, and their daughter showed up after Lauren's surgery. Everything went well and the bullet was no longer inside her chest. They stayed for awhile until Normani and Lyla had to go home and Dinah had to return to work.

"So when can I go back to seeing my patients?"

"Your chart says one to two weeks. We'll take regularly x-rays to check if your left lung has expanded."

"Oh my gosh that's a long time! Who's taking over for me?"

"Dr. Ross."

That made Lauren whine even more.

"Can't I work from my bed?" She asked Dinah.

"I'm sure you could but really? You need to be on bed rest. Figuring out cases might delay your recovery."

"No it wouldn't, but please? Can you ask my boss?" She pleaded.

Dinah knew she could be very stubborn and she wouldn't let this go until she got her way so she did it. She asked the boss and he said yes. Dinah returned an hour later with a newly case.

"Okay workaholic, here's your case. They just got admitted."

A/N: Should I feel bad for making Lauren get shot? Lol
Comment! Like!