Chapter 20

It had been months since the 6.1 earthquake and in those months, her practice was finished and was now running fully. Her social life was back on track and everything was going as planned, well almost everything. Camila had noticed a change in her wife. The doctor seemed more fatigued than usual, and the music teacher knew it was because all of her energy was being used up on the practice.

"Laur, just stay home today." Camila begged, she had been pleading that for the past week.

"I manage my own appointments, but I can't just reschedule them whenever I want Camz."

"You own the place, you can basically do whatever you want. I see that you are overly tired and I'm not a doctor, but I know that's not good for your health."

"I know but I don't like doing that to my patients, they are sickened and you're right, you're not a doctor, I am. I know what's the limit for myself and I'm nowhere near it so stop pretending you know what's good for me and stop bothering me." The doctor replied harshly leaving the house

Camila sighed, "Why is she so stubborn?!" She asked to no one in particular.

Lauren got in the car and regretted treating her wife that way. She knew Camila was right, but she didn't want to admit it. If the brunette knew she was at zero percent, she would never hear the end of it. Sighing, the doctor turned the engine on and began her way to her practice.

Once she got there, she was greeted by Dinah, the head nurse there. Months earlier, when Lauren quit, word got around about what the board did and many didn't want to work in a hospital ran by people like that. So when they heard that the doctor was building her own practice, they quickly wanted to work with her. All of the staff loved Lauren, she got along with everyone and proved to be an excellent boss.

"Dam Lo, you look like you haven't slept in days." The nurse observed.

"I was hoping that makeup would've hidden that, but guess not."

"You need to rest. Like right now."

Lauren groaned, "Don't start. Camila already insisted on me staying home today."

"Well why didn't you?"

"Because I have patients so can you please bring me their files to my office in a bit?" The doctor asked for the nurse to do.

Dinah knew she had dropped the subject so she just nodded which got her a 'thanks'. Her best friend really was stubborn. Later that day, the Polynesian was taken by surprise. Normani had showed up at the practice, limping.

"Do you take walk-ins?" The dancer asked with a smile.

"We do now, what happened?!"

"Just a dance routine gone wrong." Normani shrugged like if was nothing.

"Come on, let's go to Dr. Torres so she can take a look at it." The nurse said as she got her wife settled in a wheel chair.

"Why not with Lauren?"

"Because she's a general physician, Dr. Torres is an orthopedist."

"And the difference is?"

"Torres is an expert when it comes to bones, Lauren isn't."