Chapter 4

Chapter 4

James

"You!" I quietly exclaimed.

I couldn't believe I finally found her. It had been well over four months since I saw this beauty audition for the school. I slowly let my eyes trail up her glorious body, taking in her small but sexy frame. Oh, the things I wanted to do to her. I felt like maybe my luck was turning and this year wouldn't be so bad after all...

Jack's girl, I couldn't remember her name, paused their embrace and asked, "you know Ella?"

The redheaded beauty started to respond but before she could I explained, "not really. I mean, I saw you audition a few months back. You were amazing." I smirked as I saw her eyes widen in surprise and a blush creep up her face. Adorable, I thought.

"Thank you," she mumbled quietly, bowing her head and lowering her eyes away from mine. Damn, I already missed those bright blue eyes.

"Shall we?" I asked with a huge grin on my face and extended my arm for her to take. An emotion I couldn't quite grasp flashed across her pixie-like face before she quietly said, "Sure. Uh...Allie can I talk to you for a quick second, first?"

I looked between the two girls in confusion and met Allison's expression which mirrored my own. Allie glanced at Jack, "We'll meet you guys in the car."

We made our way to the car. Once there, Jack immediately began hounding me. "Dude, you so owe me! Bet you're not annoyed I made you come, now, huh? You could cut the sexual tension with a knife!" He guffawed at my peeved expression, but then I couldn't help but let a smile start to show. I was going to spend the entire night with this gorgeous girl and I'd be damned if I would let her get away again. She was mine. I would make sure of it tonight.

I chuckled lightly, "You're right- I do owe you. This night is going to be so much better than I thought. Had I known, I would have insisted on driving separately." I raised an eyebrow suggestively.

Jack burst out a laugh before exclaiming, "Way ahead of you buddy. Allie's gonna let me take her car. You can have little Ella all to yourself." He then winked then nodded behind me, indicating the girls were on their way.

I looked over my shoulder to see them approaching. Ella had her head down revealing her timidity, meanwhile Allie looked right at me with a look of rage on her face. I felt a little uneasy, but mostly confused. What on earth could I have done? I had never spoken to Ella and I've only ever been pleasant to Allie.

"Everything ok, babe?" Jack asked. He obviously noticed her change in demeanor.

"Yes, it's fine, let's just go. Ella and I will sit in the back together." She replied coldly.

Jack glanced nervously at me and reached back to rub the back of his neck anxiously before starting, "Uhh...babe...we were thinking that I should just drive us in your car and James and Ella can meet-"

"No! We're all riding together and coming back together." She interrupted angrily.

"But babe, I-"

Allie gave him a look, almost daring him to continue.

"Allie..." a timid voice broke through, "it's fine. I will go with James." Ella finished and gave Allie a meaningful look that clearly meant the argument was over.

Confused, I opened the passenger door and gestured for Ella to get in. She meekly met my gaze with an unreadable expression and after looking once more at Allie she sighed and got in. I shrugged at Jack and said, "See you guys there!" Maybe, I thought. For all I know, they could be broken up by the time we get there, or maybe I could convince the vixen in my car to just come straight to my place.

Feeling confident and in a good mood, I sauntered to my side of the car, smoothly got in, started her up, and off we went.

"So, have you ever been to this club before?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

"No." Ella answered simply, not even glancing my way.

"Oh. It's a fun place, but if you're not really into clubbing, we could go do something else" I replied with a confident smirk, gently placing one hand on her knee.

She immediately swatted my hand away before sighing, "No, thanks. The club sounds fine."

I could feel the tension rolling off of her in waves and I felt my annoyance quickly rising at her rejection. The only reaction I've ever gotten from that move was a flirtatious giggle and air-headed question along the lines of 'what do you suggest?'

"Is everything alright with your roommate?" I asked, changing the subject. I figured the conversation they had must be contributing to her cold attitude towards me. I would have to do something about that roommate of hers if she's somehow poisoning little Ella against me. Although, I'm still baffled at the possible reason behind her animosity towards me.

She just shrugged and continued looking out of the passenger window. Going for a different approach, I once again placed my hand gently on her knee, caressing it with my thumb. "Are you alright?" I asked with as much as concern as I could force into my inflection.

Once again, she sighed before removing my hand from her knee. "I'm fine." Another curt response was all I could get out of her. What an ice queen!

I let out a frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair. Perhaps she just needs a few drinks to loosen her up. I gave up trying to spark any conversation and let the rest of the ride lapse in an uncomfortable silence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at the club and Ella was out of the car before I even fully put it in park. I met her at the entrance already greeting Jack and Allie. Jack gave me a questioning look at my exasperated expression and I just shook my head solemnly, indicating I didn't want to talk about it. I lead the way to the bouncer, a friend of mine, who let us in ahead of the queue with a cheerful greeting. I heard Jack ask Allison what she wanted to drink and I turned to ask Ella the same. As I opened my mouth to ask she looked at me and with a declarative tone explained, "I don't drink." She then spun around and headed towards the dance floor, Allie hot on her heels.

"Dude, that girl hates me. I honestly have no idea what I've done!" I cried out, running my fingers angrily through my hair. Jack looked shocked. I have never been turned down. In fact, I barely even have to do the chasing, and even if I do, we all know it's for show. This girl was baffling me. Plan B was out the window; I couldn't get her drunk to loosen her up. I have never been this frustrated! I looked over to see her and Allie having a heated discussion on the outskirt of the dance floor. Ella glanced my way and I felt a ray of hope ignite. I gave her my most charming smile which faded quickly as I watched her stare at me coldly before heading further into the mass of gyrating inebriated bodies.

I felt the anger quickly replace my embarrassment. I am intelligent, successful, experienced, charming, handsome, and by God the best catch out there! Hell, I would even prefer if she were merely into me for my money. I have never experienced rejection, and I quickly learned that I despised this feeling more than anything else. I felt a sudden spark of rage towards the fragile yet fiery red-head slightly swaying to the beat within my eye-line. Just then, a drink appeared next to me, I downed it quickly before slamming it back on the bar, never taking my eyes of my prey. I left Jack gawking at me, not doubt a little in awe at my intense fury.

With determination, I stalked towards what would inevitably be mine.