Chapter 11- The Hunt

"Arceus, that feels good." Changed into a black tank top and shimmering black leggings with a glowing yellow stripe around each knee, I think I'm ready for what we're about to do.

Diamond wears an outfit like mine, but in navy blue, and as she brushes my hair into a high ponytail I feel the dread setting back in.

"How are we going to find them, Diamond? I only have Umbreon, and..." She's hardly more than a baby. She only evolved a few months ago, and... "It hasn't been long enough."

"But Amethyst, you have to believe in her. You know how strong she is. You two have a bond." She breaks off to look down at Glaceon.

I don't want to put this on Umbreon. She's young, and a rescue mission all on her own seems risky in a region like this. What if she faints?

"Umbre!" She yips, as though reading my thoughts. Determination shines in her ruby red eyes. We can do it.

"Of course we are." I hold out my arm, and the black fox Pokémon jumps on it.
"You ready, Umbreon?"

"Ummmm!" She yips loudly, jumping back down and tackling Glaceon. The icy blue Pokémon squeals and rolls on the ground with her, and I shake my head with a smile.

"So the group is back at the room?" Diamond asks as she finishes my hair. I nod and stand up, turning the handle to the Pokémon Center's bathroom door.

"That makes this easier. Maybe after we rescue their Pokémon, Garnet will forgive me for whatever."

Outside, it's pitch black with only the light of the moon and the light from Diamond's Town Map guiding us. I peer over her shoulder.

"We need to go left from here, and then we'll be in the woods." She thinks out loud as we walk.

"The woods? What's in the woods?" I ask skeptically. "I don't think we'll find them there." Umbreon yips in agreement as I turn my head to the thickly inhabited forest. If I was in Team Cere, I'd make my base somewhere inhabitable, but I can see where Diamond's going. Dark, densely foliated woods... I can see their charm, I guess. "...Let's check."

We quietly sneak across the town, past the Pokémart and Fen's gym. He must be in there, training. I smile faintly at the thought of something as second-nature as training, but quickly focus myself again on the task at hand. Umbreon nudges my leg and points to the point of entry in the woods, and I put my most determined face on to take the plunge.

The leaves are crisp underfoot and underpaw, and the moonlight shines an eerie glow on the forest floor, casting long shadows across the ground.

"I wonder what Pokémon live in these woods," Diamond remarks as we look around. I push a branch aside so I can get between two trees and look back at her, shrugging.

"Big ones, probably. William pumped them full of steroids." Brushing some leaves out of my hair, I look up at the canopy. I can see a couple of Golbat zooming around up there, and a Spearow nestled in a leafy home above. It brings a smile to my face and a pang to my chest...for a second, if I could forget, it's just like the Ilex forest at home.

"Bree...." Umbreon rubs her soft head against my lower calf, and I sigh. There's such a long way to go until I can return.

Thinking of my bed without my partner Arcanine's soft snores and warm belly against my back... The couch without new scratches from an irritated Scizor... the pool without Swampert floating around, blowing bubbles through his nose...it just wouldn't be home. And I still have to show it all to Lopunny. I have to bring her back. I just have to!

"I miss them, Amethyst. It's been an hour and I feel so empty," Diamond's quiet voice comes from me.

I can't say what I'm feeling. Not really. What I feel? It's like I'm being bludgeoned with doubts until I can't even walk. "I swear we'll find them if it's the last thing we do."