Chapter 15: The Jungle

"You may now insert your trainer card."

A pause, then I rummage through my bag and pull it out. I insert my trainer card in the receptor, then stand back and get a last look at where we are while it's processing.

The darkness of a Cellulean City night is illuminated by floating green orbs that cast an eerie light upon the Gym. The rest of Team Rogue has already entered, leaving me to be the last to go in. I'm okay with that, I wanted it. As hard as it is to admit, with everything that's been going on, I've been feeling an increasing sense of paranoia. Watching the group's back is just becoming a wordless duty.

"You may now enter, Amethyst Blackthorn." The robotic voice of the receptor rings in my ears, yanking me from my thoughts. In front of me, a panel slides upwards, revealing the entrance to the gym, and I step into a tunnel lit dimly with the same green orbs.

"Please proceed to the end of the tunnel." I follow the robotic voice's commands, making my way down the dark area. My lace-up boots thud against the metal floors, the only thing breaking the uneasy silence. I come out of the tunnel into what seems to be the gym building. High, domed glass ceilings like any other gym, the only thing setting it apart from the other gyms is that it seems to be totally empty. I look back at the tunnel behind me, but it's already closed up.

Great.

I step into the lit room grimly, reaching into my bag and pulling out two Pokéballs.

"Hello? Helloooo—? ....Fuck it." I push the button on each Pokéball, letting out Lopunny and Scizor. Lopunny excitedly wraps her arms around my waist with a smile before stepping back and looking at the gym, her nose twitching in confusion. Scizor crosses his arms, rolling his eyes. I can almost feel his annoyance.

"Scizor, brighten up," I command, before looking back to the wall opposite me.
"What is going on here..."

Beginning to pace, my two Pokémon follow eagerly behind me.

"I'm not just gonna wait around. If the Gym Leader doesn't show up, we're going to have to solve whatever bullshit puzzle she's putting us through and hope for the best." I make my way to the furthest wall from me, dragging my bruised fingers across the cold metal aimlessly as I walk the wall. Suddenly, the paneling underneath my fingers shifts, causing me to pull my hand back. The lights in the gym flicker ominously, and I hear Scizor let out a worried "Sci!", calling for me to come back.

"I'm okay, you two." I move slowly back to them, and they fall into formation behind me as I turn back to the wall.

The lights cut completely off, and it's pitch black. There isn't even a hint of one of those green orbs from before.

Lopunny then nudges me with one of her ears, forcing me to look back at the wall. The imprint of my hand from when I'd dragged it across the wall seems to be glowing a vibrant purple on the wall, like fluorescent spray paint. Suddenly, the lights come back on again, this time dim and green.

Before the three of us, six tunnels much like the one from before slide open with a whir.

"Looks like I cracked the code," I remark with a smirk, crossing my arms. Behind me, Lopunny and Scizor cheer triumphantly.

Lopunny bounds forward, pointing toward the middle right door with a cheerful smile, and Scizor and I follow behind her at a quick pace.

And then the tunnel engulfs us.

-

Massive emerald green leaves and brilliant blossoming flowers crowd my vision. The air is so thick that you could cut it with a Sacred Sword attack, and it's so hot that I instantly remove my jacket, panting. Looking up, I realize that we're at the edge of an enormous jungle.