[1]

Naruto's POV

"Squad 7, I'd like you to meet your new teammate. This is Kaori Rikuto. He just graduated from the academy and he's a very skilled ninja. He doesn't talk a whole lot, so please try and be patient with him." The Hokage said.

I looked at out new teammate. Kaori had black hair and green eyes as he wore a black jacket over a black shirt. He also wore black fingerless cloves with some matching black pants. This guy sure likes to dress emo. I know Sakura likes him because she has hearts in her eyes.

Kaori didn't say anything as he stared at us with no emotion. "Nice to meet you, Kaori." Kakashi said as he smiled behind his mask. Kaori only shrugged his shoulders as he looked at him. "Like I said, Kaori doesn't talk a whole lot." The Hokage said.

"Kaori, how come you don't talk?" Sakura asked. He didn't answer as he turned his head to the side, gazing at the ground with his hands in his pockets. "Hmm? Are you deaf?" I asked him. "Maybe he's a mute." Sakura guessed.

"I'm not..." Sakura and I looked at him when he spoke. "I'm not a mute." Kaori said with a frown, but he didn't face us. "I know what'll cheer you up, Kaori! Hot baths!" I cheered. "Baths?" He repeated. "Yeah, I'm sure you'll feel better! Believe it!" I said.

"I don't like baths." Kaori stated. "Then, what do you like?" Kakashi asked. Kaori looked off to the side, avoiding my question. "Do you have any siblings?" Sasuke asked. "No," Kaori shook his head. "I'm an only child and I live with my father." Kaori answered.

"Kaori, did you have any friends at the academy? I mean, did you like anyone there?" Sakura asked. Kaori shrugged his shoulders. He sure does like small talk. "I got it!" I said, getting Kaori's attention. "What you need is some ramen!"

"Ramen?"

"Yeah! Ramen will brighten your spirits!"

"I don't know..."

"To Ichiraku's!"

I grabbed Kaori and ran to Ichiraku's. "Naruto, wait!" Sakura called. Once we got to Ichiraku's, I ordered a bowl of ramen for Kaori. "Eat up, Kaori! This stuff is delicious! Believe it!" I said to him. Kaori stared down at the bowl, but he didn't pick up his chopsticks.

"Excuse me," Kaori got up from his seat and walked off. "Where do you think he's going?" Sakura asked. "Let's follow him!" I suggested. "Don't do it, Naruto. Kaori probably wants to be alone for a bit. It's best if you don't bother him right now." Kakashi-sensei said.

I frowned as he walked off. I'm gonna follow Kaori, anyway. I want to know where he's going. I ran off, trying to find Kaori. I hid in the bushes when I found him in a field. "Well, what's he doing?" Sakura asked from behind me.

"He's just standing there." I replied. I looked above, seeing a messenger bird fly towards Kaori held out his arm, letting the bird rest on it. "A message from Uta?" Kaori asked before taking the message. He opened the scroll and began to read it aloud:

"Dear, Kaori,

I have your mask ready for you. Come pick it up any day of this week. See you soon. Signed, Uta."

"Who's Uta?" Sasuke asked. "How am I suppose to know? I don't personally know Kaori." I said with a frown. "I thought I heard someone."

Gah! Did he spot us already?! "Wow, you're quick." Huh? I looked at Kaori again, this time, he had company. A girl with dark purple hair was walking towards Kaori. "What are you doing here, Touka?" Kaori asked as he hid the letter from her.

"Mr. Yoshimura wanted me to check on you." Touka answered. "Wow, she's pretty. Is that his girlfriend?" I asked as I watched their conversation. "That's really nice of him." Kaori said, a bit sadly. "Hey, cheer up. You'll make new friends here. I know it." Touka said as she rested a hand on Kaori's shoulder.

"I'm not afraid that I won't make friends here. It's just that..." Kaori trailed off as he looked at the ground. "Just what?" Touka asked him, looking concerned. "I miss Rize." He said, sadly. Touka looked at him sadly before hugging him.

"I know." Touka said. Kaori closed his eyes and hugged her back. "Thanks, Touka." Kaori said once they broke from the hug. "What for?" She asked. "For making me smile again." Kaori said as he gave a small, closed eye smile. "Happy to help." Touka said, smiling back.

"You wanna go get some coffee? I'm buying." Kaori offered. "Sure." Touka agreed. They left the field, heading back to the village. "Do you think that was his sister?" Sakura asked. "That can't be it. Kaori said that he didn't have any siblings." Sasuke reminded.

"Maybe she's just a friend, guys." I said. "Maybe we should ask Lord Hokage about Kaori's past." Sakura suggested. "Wouldn't that be invading Kaori's privacy?" Sasuke asked. "Now that you said it out loud, yeah. It kind of does." I said.

I thought about what Kaori and Touka were talking about. I wonder who Rize is? Maybe he or she was a close friend of Kaori's.