[6]

Why do lovely flowers bloom from the cherry tree?

Children of seven, waking, smile at the sun

Why do fragrant blossoms stir in the mountain air?

Children of seven, laughing, run through the woods

Why do crimson branches dance in the village streets?

Children of seven, singing, call down the wind

Why do wilting flowers fall from the cherry tree?

Children of seven, dying to wake once more

I was singing softly to myself as I sat on the railing of the bridge, staring down at the small stream. "Oi, Kaori!" I looked over as I spotted Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura running towards me. "What is it?" I asked.

"We're on our way to the Chunin Exams. Did you forget?" Naruto asked. "No, I didn't forget. I decided not to participate." I said to him. "What? Why not, Kaori?" Sakura asked. "Because I don't feel like becoming a chunin just yet." I lied.

I looked over at a building and noticed a familiar kagune. I frowned. "Ayato." I murmured. "Ayato? Who's Ayato?" Sasuke asked. "Nobody," I hopped off the railing. "Tell sensei that I'm sorry for not being able to make it." I said before heading towards the building where I spotted Ayato's kagune.

When I found the building, I ran into an alley and made sure no one was around before activating my kagune. I headed towards the roof just in time to see Ayato cornering a human. "Ayato!" I called, stopping him.

Ayato looked over at me and smirked. "Well, well. If it isn't my favorite ghoul?" He teased. I rolled my eyes. "Ayato, let that human go." I commanded. "And what will you do if I don't?" He challenged.

"Test me and you'll find out." I said as I moved my kagune around to give him a hint. I used one of them to wrap around Ayato and lift him in the air. I made my way over to the human as he was shaking with fear.

"Leave now, and don't you dare speak a word about this to anyone. Because if you do, you'll have me to deal with." I threatened. The human quickly nodded his head and ran back inside the building.

"Hey! What the hell, Kaori! He was mine!" Ayato shouted as he was still in the air. I set him down on his feet and glared at him. "What the world were you thinking?" I demanded coldly. "What are you talking about?" He asked with a frown.

"Are you insane? Do you have any idea what would've happened if you did something up here?" I said, frowning back. "Pff. Whatever. How did you find me anyway?" Ayato asked. "I spotted your kagune. You need to be more careful. Anyone could've spotted you." I said.

"But they didn't, so what's the problem?" He demanded, frowning at me. I rolled my eyes and turned my back to him. "If you want to eat, do it with night falls. Plus, if you're that hungry, come with me." I said.

I led him to the small restaurant Touka and I were at yesterday. "What kind of place is this?" Ayato asked as he looked around the restaurant. "It's called a restaurant, genius." I said sarcastically.

"Here you go," The waitress set two cups of coffee down in front of us. "Thank you." I thanked her and she left. "I doubt this taste anything like the coffee we have at home." Ayato said bitterly. "It's the same, Ayato. Don't be so picky," I took a sip of my coffee and sighed.

"Just try it, Ayato." I said. "Fine." He muttered. He picked up his coffee and took a sip. "See? It's the same." I said. "Yeah, whatever." Ayato mumbled. I rolled my eyes. "Excuse me," I quickly left the table and walked down the street.