six; the pictures on the wall

"I was bored and thought you needed company." Scott shrugged and smiled at her.

"Well, it would be rude of me to shoo you away, so come in." Jane said and sat at the edge of her bed, while Scott at the chair of her study desk.

"Why are you really here?" Jane asked accusingly as she narrowed her eyes at him.

"This girl from English Class asked me out but I didn't want to go with her, so I told her I had to help you with your math homework." Scott said as tarted observing the wall full of pictures in Jane's room.

"That's the worst excuse i have ever heard, but whatever." Jane shrugged as she got her homework. "I actually need help."

Jane didn't get a response from Scott, then she noticed he was too engrossed with the pictures. The one he was looking at was a picture of the two of them from the middle school dance. They both had gone without a date, since Jane didn't get asked, and Scott's date ditched him at the last minute since a 'more popular guy' asked the girl out.

That night Jane thought the girl was completely stupid for leaving Scott for the popular guy. He's an amazing, thoughtful guy and any girl would be incredibly lucky to have the chance to date him.

Until now Jane still thinks the same.

The night of the school dance was also the night Jane realized she was developing a small crush on her best friend.

Until now, even in Junior Year she still does.