Chapter 19: Early beginnings

A/N: So I've written the first few chapters of Beatrix and Huxley's book. Was wondering if you all wanted me to go ahead and publish them? I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in her story or not? Let me know what Yal think

Huge.

That's how I feel. Absolutely gigantic and it's not fun. I know I've been waddling for a while now, but I don't feel sexy at all anymore.

I'm wearing a stretchy blue dress with flowers all over, Nox is beside me staring at my belly. We still haven't thought of any concrete names and we only have a month to go.

"Why are you staring so hard." I'm grumpy today. His Mercury eyes don't look away as he suddenly falls to his knees in front of me and showers my belly with kisses. He's laughing when he starts to feel them kick and I'm melting at this sight before me.

I haven't told him that I've fallen in love with him. I don't think he's ready to hear that right now even though we've warmed up to each other considerably.

Hux still doesn't come around much, but today he's sitting with us on the back porch. I'm lounging in a chair, Nox close by. He still won't leave my side. I think it has something to do with the loss of Lillian and the babies she had been carrying, but I'm not human. I can take the stress these pups are putting on my body.

The tension is still around us, still around the pack, when Hux is around, but I try to be the stress reliever when I'm around.

"How are they?" Hux is staring now too. He never thought I would end up with the brother he now hates.

"Good. Should be due within the next month or so." I smile at him happily before asking Nox to grab me some lemonade.

"Are you happy with him?" Hux is asking and I mentally sigh.

"At first there was a struggle. I didn't think he would ever care for me in a romantic way, that I would only be here to bring his children into the world, but we've been slowly growing to care for each other. How could I not be happy when he is trying his best to let go of the past, to let me into his heart?"

Hux doesn't say anything after that. He doesn't have a bottle by his hand today, but I can tell he's been drinking by his scent. I can also smell Beatrix's scent, though it's faint.

Nox brings me my lemonade and kisses my forehead before taking his place beside me again. Hux leaves shortly after, not wanting to be around his brother. I sigh.

"Don't worry yourself over me. He's trying to get his bearings."

"Oh, so he does that by getting drunk off his ass everyday? I'm worried about him."

Nox is silent for a while, rubbing my shoulder, my back. I feel our baby's tossing around, kicking. I wince at a particularly harsh kick.

"Being around her is difficult for him, but he can't leave her alone with the way she is right now. He's upset at all of us, the whole pack for not caring for her."

"That's not our fault, she was never around. How would we know she was hurting so badly?"

His voice is strained. "I knew she was hurting. I was the only person giving her comfort before you came along and that suddenly stopped. I knew she was hurting, but I didn't know it was that bad. I thought she could move on by now." He's upset with himself. I take his hand.

"Don't blame yourself for that. I think even when you were around she must have been hurting for it to get to that point." I don't know much, but I give him these words anyway.

"Your amazing you know that little bird?" His arm is around me now, holding me to his side, rubbing me down with his scent, with our scent. He doesn't explain and I don't ask him to.

Later that day I'm still sitting on the bench, watching Evie and Levi play with some other pups. Nox is training. The only time he leaves my side now.

A ball is kicked to the left of my feet. I reach down to grab it, one hand on my protruding belly, when I feel it.

At first I think maybe I've leaked. I haven't been able to control my bathroom urges much as of late, but then I feel a sharp pain in my abdomen. I'm quiet, I don't say anything for a while.

Evie is beside me, worried for her Luna. "I'm fine sweetie, but could you get your daddy for me please?" She nods her head, eyes wide as she chases for Cole.

Five minutes go by. I feel it again. Isn't it too early for this? I still have a month to go? Senna is supposed to give birth before me. She's due this week in fact. I'm still clutching my stomach when Cole arrives.

"Are you okay Luna? Do you need anything?" His face is contorted with worry.

"Beatrix."

He is moving around. Linking other people, helping me to stand. I'm still getting sharp pains. I feel the leakage drip down my thighs. I'm at the clinic in no time. Beatrix is setting things up, helping me into the very bed Rose had given birth in, except now it is adorned with clean sheets.

"How far apart are the contractions?" All business, a hard look on her face.

"5 minutes about now." I say as I'm gripped in another sharp pain. She's helping me lay down, the bruises are gone or maybe she's covering them up again. She's yelling for Cole to get Nox, yelling for any male to leave as she helps me rid myself of my dress. I don't think anything of it as she helps me pull a hospital gown over me, spreading my legs to check how dilated I am before leaving to gather her things.

Nox shows up in no time. "Are you okay? He's got a hand to my forehead, a distressed look on his face. He looks like he's seen a ghost with how pale he is and I realize he's thinking about Lillian.

I touch his cheek as another contraction hits. This one lasts longer, I'm gritting my teeth. Nox looks sick to his stomach. I've never seen him like this. Beatrix comes back not long after, a cart of supplies with her.

"How is she?" He's hounding Beatrix now. Running a hand through his hair.

"She's fine."

"Fine? She's white as a ghost and the babies aren't due for another month!" Beatrix flinches.

"She's having twins, this happens sometimes with twins. There's no need to worry." Her voice doesn't sound as strong after the scolding Nox just gave her.

"You better make sure those babies survive this Beatrix. You better make sure she," he's pointing at me as another contraction takes hold. I close my eyes. "survives this." He's putting a lot of pressure on Beatrix now.

I want to tell him to stop, but I'm in too much pain to say anything now.

Beatrix doesn't say anything as she begins to set up, but I notice the hard set of her shoulders, the determination.

"Nox?" I say after a moment.

He's at my side immediately. Holding my hand, caressing my cheek. "What is it? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." My smile goes wobbly at another sharp pain that starts to last longer. "Don't put so much pressure on her." I'm squeezing his hand, using him to relieve the stress my body is in. "She's a good doctor, a good midwife. I'll be fine and so will the babies. We don't even have names for them you know?"

I can see some color return to his face. "I just don't want to lose you little bird. I don't want to lose them." He's looking at my stomach now. "I shouldn't have put you through this. I shouldn't have tried so hard to make you have my babies so soon. I'm sorry."

I grab his shirt, pull as the contractions start to get closer to 3 minutes apart, the pain stretching out longer. "Look at me." He does. "I'm not Lillian. I'm not a human and I'm going to be fine. My mother had twins. She's fine. Your mother had twins and lived to have Teagan too, so stop worrying. Our babies just want an early start in life, that's all." My voice is hard.

He's sighing, bending to bury his face in my neck, kissing my mark. "Just please don't leave me. I don't think I could take losing another women I've come to love."

I just hold him here, because I don't want him to see the way his words have affected  me.