Bonus Chapter 8:

Chapter 13: Captivated

Nox's POV

Tiny thumps grace my ears.

My mates heartbeat is slow and even, resting peacefully against my side,

But the thumps I'm hearing aren't coming from her chest. They're coming from the little bulge of her stomach that is pressed against me, into me, seeking my protection for our pup even in her sleep.

My pregnant she-wolf is much weaker in this state, unable to shift, unable to protect herself.

I don't mind having to be the protector. I like the fact that she will have to rely on me more, instead of the strength she usually clings to within herself. This, I think, is a blessing for us. This will bring us closer.

I slide down the bed, trying my best not to awaken Wren as I rest my ear against her belly, rest my hand along the underside of it and listen.

*Thump*
*Thump*
*Thump, Thump*

I let it lull me into a dreamy state of happiness. I'm captivated. It sounds just like Lily's did and I'm so blissfully proud that I get to experience this again through my little bird,

with my little bird.

I rub my hand softly over her bump, giving our pup the love I am already feeling for it.

I can hear the heartbeat of the mother changing in its slow staccato to a faster rate, but she doesn't move.

My lips form a smile, the kind that shows teeth. My little bird is pretending to sleep.

I love this side to her, the sweet side, the playful side. "I know your awake." I'm laughing at her disappointment, loving the experience of teasing her.

She's running her fingers through my hair now, like I do to her sometimes. I hum my approval to her. I never realized how good this felt, to be rubbed by your mate in a non-sexual level.

"What are you doing?"

I lift up to spoon her, to feel the comfort of having her in my arms as we talk in this bed, connecting with each other.

Her cheeks are tinted jut the slightest pink when she feels the way my morning wood is pressed snugly between her nice round ass cheeks; the second best place for it to be.

On second thought, maybe the third or fourth. I'm not disinclined to clamp her in other places once the pup is born. I press my lips against her neck, hiding the smile these thoughts have brought me.

"I can hear it."

"Hear what?" Her weakened state must have effected her hearing or maybe mine is sharper than hers.

"The heartbeat."

She goes silent, not even breathing as she tries her hardest to hear the wonderful gift that I've heard.

Her nose scrunches up in the cutest way when she fails to hear a thing and I can't help the burst of laughter that falls out of me. She's like a little kid that just dropped her ice cream with be expression she is showing.

"You will hear it soon enough." I tell her when I see the disappointment still lingering in her eyes.

She tries to pull away after this, but I don't let her. I clasp my hand around her stomach, holding her to me, not budging.

"I have to pee Nox." She struggles with the grip I have on her and I torment her a little longer. I play with her, giving her even more of the side of me I previously kept hidden.

As she readies herself for the appointment we made with Trixy, I head downstairs to find something for her to eat.

A blueberry muffin seems like a good plan. I know she had been craving blueberries. She even dreamed of them last night, but hopefully it won't make her sick.

I eat my own before she's done. I want my hands free so I can feed her on the way.

"Is that for me?" My little bird is surprised as we walk towards her appointment. I e only been giving her crackers, but now her eyes feast on this muffin and I can feel the hunger she has, but also the sickness underneath.

I give her small bites and as she munches I rub my fingers along her arm, her neck, her cheek, along any bare skin I can find, hoping my touch will keep her from feeling sick.

My plan ultimately fails as she retches into the bushes beside the clinic doors. I rub her back, feeling awful for not being there to do this during our small time sorry.

As we walk in Trixy is pouring a brew into a teacup before handing it to my mate. They give each other a look and I'm surprised that my little bird would take something from Bee, especially food, but it seems to make her feel better. I can feel the ease in her stomach.

Wren is getting changed behind a curtain and I look at Trix. "What did you give her?"

"It's an herbal tea. It helps with be sickness. Here," she writes down the recipe before giving it to me, "make it for her. I think she would appreciate it."

"Thanks." I make a mental note to pick up the ingredients from the store.

I pocket the piece of paper and then walk behind the curtain to give my little bird a kiss to the cheek.

She's smiling at me, but I can hear her unsure thoughts, wondering if I am happy with her as a mate.

"I am." A give the hand I'm holding a kiss, whispering these words into

This seems to brighten her mood and her cheeks are pink as she smiles shyly at me.

I watch her facial expressions. She's biting her lip in excitement, wanting to hear the heartbeat as soon as possible, giving my hand a squeeze as the time grows nearer and nearer.

I hope our pup is as excitable as she is. I hope our pup gets that from her, along with her glacier eyes.

I watch on as she has her moment, listening to the heartbeat of our pup, not paying attention to the things that Trixy is saying even though I should be.

After a minute her face looks confused and worried and I rub my thumb across her knuckles to sooth her. "Should it be that fast?"

She's right. It is a little fast. I didn't notice earlier.

Trixy is annoyed that neither one of us is listening and goes on to explain that there isn't just one dot.

There's two.

Twins?

I can't believe the moon goddess would bless me with this chance again when I couldn't protect my last woman. I think I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. I can believe I have been given such a gift.

My mind is open, giving my little bird the chance to fly in and take a peak at the happiness she has given me, before closing back up. I don't want there to be a chance for her to hear the thoughts that accompany this, that tinges the outskirts of my happiness in a blue veil of sadness.

I only want her to see my good thoughts. I never want to bring her down from be way she is feeling right now. I never want the glowing gleam of bliss in her eyes to dim because of me because I'm this moment, she is the most captivating creature that has ever graced my sight.