13. TOODLE-LOO

WHEN I AWOKE, Travis was no longer beside me. I would have thought that yesterday was a dream if it wasn't for the clothes I was wearing. I remember, after talking, Travis has forced me to change into fresh clothes before jumping back and sleeping beside him. Suffice to say, it was... unusual being with him again. It wasn't because it was the same thing, and I felt like I was back in high school.

              No, it felt so different.

              The second I climbed back to bed, he had pulled me towards him again, doing the same position we were before I had gotten up. I was so used to being alone in bed and not being with anybody else in it that the space that was nonexistent between us was uncomfortable. He had sensed it, and obviously, to get me comfortable again, he had massaged my scalp with the tip of his fingers until I finally fell asleep.

              The door slowly opened, too slow for my liking that I ended up reaching for the gun I had placed under my pillow. Travis obviously wasn't comfortable with my gun being placed by his side since only one bedside table was there so I decided to put it under my pillow. He still didn't like it—but it was a better option rather than having to walk to a distance to get my gun.

              "Don't get your gun, it's still me."

              Travis kicked the door open softly, and I see him carrying a small wooden tray table. From the smell alone, I could tell that there were bacons, and the sweet smell of syrup was unmistakable.

              Pushing myself up with my good arm, he placed the legs of the table in between me and then, leaning in to give me a kiss on the cheek.

              My lips twitched upwards in automatic as I stared down at the plate. Bacons, pancakes, syrup, and an iced lemon.

              "So, that's why you weren't here when I woke up," I said.

              He shrugged, giving me a small smile. "Mrs. Aries helped me a bit making the pancakes that's why it doesn't look bad." He pressed the back of his hand to my neck and then to my forehead. "You're still a bit hot. Go eat up, I'm going to shower."

              Cutting the pancakes, I gazed up at him as he stood in front of me. "Are you going to work?

              Immediately, he shook his head. "I told Charlotte I have to take care of you and to move everything I need to do to tomorrow."

              My brows knitted. "You do know that just because I'm sick doesn't mean I can't take care of myself? I am an agent. I don't need anybody taking care of me."

              "Shhh," he pressed his index finger on top of his lips before giving me a weak smile. "I know. You're one of the strongest people I know but you're sick and as someone who clearly likes you, I would like to take care of you.  know your job is to protect me but for the meantime, I'd like it if we just... rest."

              When did we become like this? After talking to one another, we both seemed to be in sync more than anything. It was like all the grudge that I was holding on to in the past was gone, vanished into thin air. And although I'm still wary of being in a relationship after not being in any right when Michael died, I still have this feeling where I'm just so ready to try.

              To try and have someone else in my life. Or in this case, have someone back into my life.

              "Okay," I nodded, returning his smile. "but I'd like it if we watch Friends to your big television at the living room with the rest of the agents. I think they need to rest too. As you can see, we have no 'OFF' switch but if I tell them to watch with us, it might release some tensions."