bonus chapter - peace

this is a bonus chapter from the old book! i didn't want to remove this so here it is! it's still related to their story, but the writing is different (well, a little).

i love you guys! i'll post an afterword/q&a.

thank u, survivors!

- bella xx

*

I OPEN THE DOOR of Travis and I's room. It's dark but when the light from the outside, struck my fiancé's shirtless back. I close the door and I sink myself to the bed, wrapping my arm around Travis' waist. I feel a wet liquid on my hand. I pull it back and open the lamp beside us.

Dark red liquid is on my hand.

Oh no. Oh no. No, no, no, no no no no.

I pull Travis back and see the dark pool of blood around his stomach and to the side of his bed. I plant my hands to his face, shaking him awake.

"Travis." I meant my voice to be stern but somehow, it comes back as a whisper and broken. "Travis, wake up. Please."

But he doesn't wake up. He's just lying on our bed, eyes closed, unmoving. Travis. Oh... Gabe. I need to check on Gabe.

I bolt out of the door and start running to Gabe. I open her door and find him on the chair, facing his back on me. I have no idea how long it took me to walk to my son but when I turned the chair to face in front of me, I saw him coughing up blood.

"Mom-mommy?" Gabe coughs. "Mommy it hurts."

I look down at his chest, blood starts to spread. Oh no. My baby.

"Hang in there, Gabe. I'm getting help." A sob comes out of my mouth. "Don't leave me-"

He belts out a scream suddenly. I gaze into his eyes and find him staring behind me. I turn around and see Jason. He pushes me down to the floor with one single hard punch to my head. I fall down, and he raises his gun to Gabe.

"No!" I shout. "No, no! Please, Jason, no!"

His eyes are cold and empty. He doesn't even take a second to look at me. I start to raise myself up but to my waist from down, I couldn't move. It felt like I was being tide up to the floor.

I raise my hand to Gabe, trying to reach him. He looks at me and then to Jason. "Papa? Why are you-"

And then there's a loud shot.

My eyes spring open, sitting immediately. I feel a hand to my shoulder. Alarmed, I immediately raise my fist and punch the man beside me square on the nose.

"Ow!"

It's Travis. I open the lamp by the drawer and see his hand on his nose, cupping it.

"What the hell-?"

I lunge at him, wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. His arms instantly goes around my waist. "I'm sorry." I whisper, closing my eyes and the tears fall down. "You're here. Travis."

He moves his head and kisses me on my temple. His hands running through my hair. "It's just a silly nightmare."

I release him. "Where's Gabriel?"

"He's asleep. He's okay."

I shake my head. "No, no. I need to check on him. I need to know if he's alive."

"He'll wake up if we disturb him." Travis tells me. He looks longingly at my eyes and press his lips on my cheek briefly. "It's a nightmare, Sam. You're okay. You're safe. Don't worry. Now, let's go back to sleep, okay? You need your sleep."