16. WHERE SHE'S ALIVE

YOU KNOW HOW IT'S EVERY PERSON'S WORST NIGHTMARE to lost someone they love? I guess, what they really say is true. The pain in my heart was more than the pain in my ribs and my eye as I stared down at Sammy on the ground, unresponsive, blood from her shoulder, continuing to seep through the shirt. My own shirt that I've declared to be hers.

I remember her wearing that and the jersey shorts—seeing how much I wanted to see it on her more often. Teenager Travis thought that she was so hot in it and as an adult version of myself from the past, I still thought that she's still sexy in them.

Now, every image of it is ruined. All I'm seeing in each memory of my own with her in it was the shirt having blood in them and the shorts looked like they've been ripped over and over again.

"HELP! SOMEBODY HELP!" I had yelled, screamed even, and tried to rip pull my hands off from the shackles just to get closer to her, just to at least and try to reach her but it didn't take. My heart was in my mouth, I felt like throwing up at the sight of Sam like this—helpless and weak. "Oh, God, just somebody fucking help her!"

She wasn't moving at all.

"Don't die on me, Alexander!" I yelled, using my feet to try and at least nudge her. The tip of my shoes managed to hit her leg. Unresponsive. "Samantha fucking Alexander if you die on me right now, I will fucking murder you! Please, don't do this to me—"

My pleads were caught off by the metal door opening, revealing the man Sam thought was dead and Michael that was actually Jason Stein.

His eyes widened at the sight of Sam but before he could step inside the room, there were some gun shots, causing everyone to jump where they stood. He turned around to about seven men behind him and yelled, "What the hell are you all standing here for? Go!"

Everyone scattered like the rats they were, taking their guns out of their waistbands and not even bothering to wear masks. It was so hard to focus on what they all looked like because of the life that was draining away from her body.

Jason ran to her, desperation was clear in his eyes as he held her by the shoulders and tapped her, shaking her profusely to wake up. "Sam? Sam, come on. This isn't supposed to happen."

My brows furrowed. "You wanted to kill her? What the hell are you talking about how this wasn't supposed to happen?"

He ignored me, continued shaking her, tapping her cheeks repeatedly, and then, pressing both of her hand onto her shoulder, trying to put pressure to slow the bleeding down.

Out of nowhere, Sam's eyes opened and she grabbed Jason by the collar of his ugly, black, AC/DC shirt, and pulled him down to him so she was able to hit her forehead straight onto his nose. He was too slow to react from the headbutting. The next thing I know, he has fallen over next to Sam's body.

My eyes widened at the sight of her—still awake and alert.

She didn't waste any time to search his body, coping him everywhere until it landed by his butt. Then, she fished it out. It was the keys on her hand.

"You would think that he would leave out the part that he still had the habit of putting tape over the keys and labeling them for what they are used for," she mumbled, stopping at one of the keys and folding her hand so she could reach the keyhole. "Oh, by the way, I'm running on adrenaline right now which means we have to act fast so when I get you out of the chains, we're going to run together and fight our way out until we see one of the agents."