Prologue

-Fourteen years ago-

Kya Milani breathed heavily as she forced herself to keep walking. She was going to do it. She's was actually leaving the only home she's ever known.

Why was she leaving?

Oh, that's right. Her teacher was a traitor to the entire island.

Kya was the top bender in her class. She even surpassed some of the older students. Her teacher, Senna, began giving her private lessons. Senna taught Kya more about water than the creators of the island could have ever imagined.

Unfortunately, the material that they used for bending became something Kya dreaded.

So she ran.

Before she left her home, she left a note for her mother and siblings on the kitchen counter.

Don't trust Senna. I love you all.

-Kya

This is for their own good. Remember what Senna told you she would do to them if you refused to do what she said.

As Kya continued her trek, she went over her plan in her head.

Get to the docks, steal a boat, use your bending to get yourself to the mainland. Easy enou-

The ten year old became aware of footsteps running after her. She opened her water-skin and whipped around ready for a fight.......

And came face-to-face with her mother.

Kya dropped her stances and stared wide-eyed. "Mom?"

Kauna Milani quickly wrapped her daughter in a tight hug, knowing very well it could be the last time they saw each other.

"Be careful."

Blue eyes stared up at identical blue eyes. "You knew that Senna-"

Kauna nodded. "I had a suspicion that Senna was bending the forbidden water. But, because of her hold on the community, it will be difficult to turn everyone against her."

Kauna gazed at her daughter's face before gently brushing a strand of silver hair behind her ear.

"Be careful, my moon."

Kauna reached into her pocket and pulled out a small vile attached to a necklace. Kya stared wide eyed at it.

"Mom how-"

The older woman's smile was almost smug. "Your Grandmother wishes you luck. She said that going to the outside world is your destiny."

Kya gently took the vile with her fingertips. The vile contained water from the oasis in the middle of the island. The lifeblood of the island. It's rumored that with the waters, one could save another from the hands of death. Her Grandmother was on the council of representatives, giving her access to the oasis.

The ten year old placed the vile/necklace around her neck before looking at her mother and giving her another hug.

"I'll find a way to talk to you when I can."