Outcasts {2}

“What?” he asked, the smile seemingly frozen on his face.

                “I’m a boy,” I repeated.

                He slowly eyed me up and down, that same smile still stuck on his face. His shoulders hunched a little and he slowly took a breath.

                “…WHAT THE HELL?!” he cried, the smile finally falling off of his face. “You’re a boy?!”

                I shrugged. “I tried to tell you earlier, but you cut me off.”

                “But…But you’re so pretty! And you have a feminine name! And you freaking look like Emma Watson!” he said in despair.

                I ran a hand through my hair. “When I grew my hair out, people confused my gender. When I cut it, people confused my gender. I just can’t win,” I said with a hopeless sigh. “And I do not have a feminine name! My name is Julian!”

                “You have a girlish figure!” he said, gesturing wildly at my body.

                “It’s not my fault. It’s just the way I was born,” I said.

                “Oh my god. I can’t believe you’re actually a boy,” he groaned.

                “Well, I need to get to class now. Thanks for walking with me Josiah!” I waved to him and disappeared into the classroom.

                Everyone always confused my gender. I had a feminine appearance. I had tried everything I could think of to look manlier, but nothing ever worked. People always thought I was just a butch girl. I had gotten used to it by this point in my life.

                Sometimes I just didn’t bother correcting people when they called me a girl. It always happened, and I didn’t always feel like wasting my breath explaining my freaking gender.

                “Mrs. Barton?” I said, going up to the teacher. “I’m Julian Amuso.”

                “Julian! The new student! Welcome,” the teacher, Mrs. Barton said with a smile. “You can just take a seat right there.” She pointed at a random desk and I thanked her, making my way over to it and sitting down.

                The bell rang a minute later and Mrs. Barton clapped her hands to get everyone’s attention. She smiled at all of us.

                “Now, you’re going to partner up and make comparisons to the movie we watched the other day. Compare it to other shows or movies you might have seen before. You may pick your partners,” Mrs. Barton said.

                Kids got up and began to get together with their friends. I looked around, hoping to spot someone as alone as I was. But, to my dismay, there was no one.

                “Hi!”

                I spun around as a girl dropped into the chair across from me and smiled. “You’re new here, aren’t you? I’ve never seen you before.”

                I nodded. “Yea, I’m new here,” I said.

                “I’ll work with you!” she said.

                “Thanks,” I said, smiling at her. It was rare that people were nice to me. Most people just avoided me. Being a new kid at random times in the school year didn’t always go over well.