Outcasts {9}

The final bell rang and I went out to my locker, exchanging my books. Someone gave me a little shove and I rolled my eyes and straightened up, turning to face Josiah.

                “Hi,” I said.

                “A hi is all I get, Jules?” Josiah asked with a pout.

                “What were you expecting?” I asked, shutting my locker and slinging my bag over my shoulder.

                “I don’t know. Maybe a grand gesture of admiration,” he said.

                “I think you’re crazy,” I said.

                “That’s why I’m an Outcast,” he said, laughing.

                “I’m an Outcast too!” Chance cried, running up to us. “Because my brother is a soulless ginger!”

                “Chance, shut up,” Jimm said, appearing behind him and grabbing his ear.

                “Ouchie!” Chance said with a frown.

                “So Josiah and Jules are going on a date!” Lea said with a grin, coming up next to the Pavluk brothers.

                “It’s not a date!” Josiah said, blushing. “I’m just showing him around town.”

                “I can’t believe you’re taking my girlfriend from me,” Lea said, sniffing dramatically. “You are the Yuu Yanase of the story.”

                “The who?” I asked in confusion.

                “Ignore her. She’s a fangirl,” Josiah said.

                “I’m figuring that out,” I said, shaking my head.

                “Well? Let’s go!” Josiah said. “See you guys later!” He grabbed my hand and dragged me away from the others, and out of the school.

                We down to my car and got in it together. I plugged in my phone and started playing music out of it.

                “So, where are we going?” I asked.

                “I figured I’ll show you some important places, and then my favorite places,” he said with a smile. “Lea’s store is one of my favorite places, by the way.”

                “Do people pick on Lea a lot?” I asked, thinking of the girl in the locker room calling her a dyke.

                “Sadly,” Josiah said with a sigh. “Because she’s a lesbian otaku. But she tends to make a joke of it. It used to get to her a lot, but she learned not to let it get her down.”

                “Do people pick on you for being gay?” I asked.

                Josiah shrugged. “Sometimes. Not as much as people pick on Lea. I guess people just accept gay boys more than lesbian girls. It’s so stupid. It’s not like I’m attracted to every guy, or Lea is attracted to every girl. Whatever. Lea and I both learned to just take it as a joke.” He gave me a sincere smile. “Besides, if anyone ever really hurt me with their homophobia…well, you’ve met my sister. It wouldn’t be pretty.”

                “I can see Josie going badass on people,” I said, laughing at the thought of it.

                “She’s scary,” he said, shaking his head. “Anyways, onwards! First we’ll start with some coffee. Because I need caffeine to be a functioning human.”