Outcasts {5}

I walked into school and made my way over to my locker. I began to exchange my books, feeling sleepy. I always had trouble adjusting to a new bedroom at first. It would be about a week before I could get a good night sleep.

                “Jules! Jules! Jules!” Josiah sang, skipping over to me.

                “Hi Josiah,” I said, shutting my locker .

                “You look tired,” he said.

                “I am,” I said with a sigh.

                “Well, you can nap during senior study hall!” he said, slinging an arm around my shoulders.

                “I’m not sure if I’m awake enough to deal with Chance during third period,” I said.

                “No one’s ever awake enough to deal with Chance in the morning,” Josiah said, laughing. “You get used to him eventually, I promise. Jimm usually keeps him under control.”

                Poor Jimm. I would hate it if I constantly had to keep my little brother under control. Sometimes I was really happy that I was an only child.

                The bell rang and Josiah pulled his arm away from my shoulders. “Come on! I’ll walk you to your first period class.”

                “I know how to get there,” I said as we started down the hallway together.

                “I know, but I want to walk with you,” he said, giving me a cute smile.

                “Alright,” I said, unable to resist the urge to smile back. Josiah had a really cute smile.

                “So I was thinking that we could all hang out afterschool again,” Josiah said after a moment of silence.

                “Sure. I really liked hanging out with you guys yesterday,” I said.

                “I told you that you just have to know the right people!” he said smugly.

                I laughed. “Yea, I guess so.”

                We stepped up to my classroom and moved aside so that we weren’t blocking the doorway. Josiah sighed and ran a hand through his blond hair.

                “Have fun in class with Lea,” he said.

                “Thanks,” I said, offering him a smile. “I’ll probably be confused the entire time I’m with her because I don’t watch anime.”

                “Lea and I watch anime together a lot,” Josiah said, grinning. “But she watches way more than me. Still, I’m the only person who ever gets half of the things she says. You’ll be fine. Just nod and pretend you get it.”

                “Well, you better head to class so that you’re not late. I’ll see you next period,” I said, waving to him and turning into the classroom.

                I sat down and spun around in my chair so that I could face Lea. I frowned as soon as I saw her expression, though.

                “Lea, what’s wrong?” I asked.

                She glanced at me, a moody scowl engraved into her face. “Nothing,” she grumbled.

                I frowned at her. “Are you sure? You seem really upset. Did something happen?”