2

YEAR: 1975

•John's POV•

"Morning dad," Julian greeted. I was in the kitchen, feeding Sean and attempting to cook breakfast as Julian walked in.
"Hey kiddo. How'd you sleep?"
"Okay, I guess...hey dad..."
"Yeah?" I mumbled. As Julian spoke, I continuously bounced Sean in my arms; he wouldn't calm down.
"Who was that woman you brought home last night?"
"Oh, her name is Michelle,"
"Is she a new friend?"
"No," I sighed. "She's gonna be staying here for a bit. Okay? She's very kind but-"
"If she's kind then why don't you date her?"
"Because Jules-"
"Dad, we need a mum..."
"Let me speak Julian," I said. "I can't date her for several reasons,"
"Name three," he raised a brow.
"Well, we have nothing in common," I started. "She's not a legal citizen, and-"
"Bonjour!" Michelle cheered.
"Dad...she's speaking French..."
"That's reason number three," I pursed my lips.
"Can she understand me?"
"Oui," she said. "John, vous nourrissez le mal," (John, you're feeding him all wrong,) she said as she took Sean from my arms.
"I...I don't know what you just said," I sighed. "What do you want for..." I trailed off. "He stopped crying," I smiled.
"Oui," she said. "Je suis très bon avec les enfants," (I'm very good with children,)
"I can tell..."
"Vous saviez ce que je disais!" (You knew what I was saying!)
"Yeah, that I didn't get..."
"Michelle," Julian tapped her shoulder. "Do you have any kids?"
"Malheureusement, non," (Unfortunately, no) she whispered. "Espérons que, un jour, je peux avoir quelques enfants de mon propre," (Hopefully, one day, I can have a few children of my own,) she beamed.
"Michelle, doll, we don't know what you're saying,"
"Je vais arrêter de parler alors..." (I'll stop talking then...)
"Jules, Anna is coming over at noon to help us understand what Michelle is saying. Okay? Clean up a bit, please,"
"You're gonna help me right?"
"Julian," I sighed, "I am a very busy man. I don't have time to-"
"Je vais vous aider, Julian est-il?" (I'll help you, Julian is it?)
"I heard my name...I-I don't know what you're asking though..."
"Help...tu veux help," (Help...you want help,)
"No, no Michelle, you don't need to help. You're a guest," Julian mumbled. "Dad, aren't the cleaning ladies coming today?"
"I give them Sundays off," I said. "Michelle, would you mind giving me Sean so I can put him down for a nap,"
"Sieste? Il vient de se réveiller, John," (Nap? He just woke up, John,) she said. "Je vais prendre soin de lui." (I'll take care of him.)
"Whatever, do whatever you want with him. I don't care,"
"Merci! Allez Sean." (Thank you! Come on Sean.)

***

"John! I'm here!" Anna yelled.
"Bonjour Anna!" Michelle yelled from the living room.
"Hey Mich,"
"Mich?" she raised a brow.
"Yeah," she smiled as she joined Michelle's on the floor. Michelle was leaning against the couch with Sean resting in her lap; children shows were playing on the television. "How are you today?"
"Tres bien," (Very well,) she smiled.
"Good, I'm glad,"
"E toi?"
"I'm pretty good," she shrugged. "Where's John?"
"En haut," (Upstairs,) she rolled her eyes.
"So, do you like John?"
"Oui, il est très gentil," (Yes, he's very kind,)
"Do you like his music?"
"Sa musique?" (His music?)
"Wait...are you telling me that you don't know who John is?"
"Il est John..." (He's John...)
"He's so much more than that! He's-"
"Anna," I interrupted, "so nice of you to finally show,"
"Always a pleasure," she retorted. "Say, why don't you let Michelle here listen to a few of your records?"
"I don't have any records," I gritted my teeth. "I'd rather her learn some English, considering she's gonna be here for a while,"
"Well, since she already knows the language, it'll just be a matter of pronouncing them correctly and using them in context,"
"Sounds easy enough,"
"John, you do realize that our language is one of the hardest to learn, right?"
"But she already understands it. She just has to learn how to speak it,"
"And how to put it into context! We don't want her saying good day and titballs in the same fucking sentence!"
"She's not gonna say titballs. She's never gonna say titballs,"
"Whatever," Anna rolled her eyes. "Come on Michelle, let's teach you some English."