5

YEAR: 1976

•Michelle's POV•

"Jules, get ready," John said.
"Why?"
"Cause we're going out tonight,"
"Where?"
"A show,"
"What show?"
"A circus,"
"Dad, I don't wanna go to a circus," he whined.
"Just get dressed,"
"Fine," he sighed.
"Michelle! Are you ready?"
"Oui," I said. I walked down the stairs, hummimg, with Sean in my arms.
"Hey, hey,"
"Sorry, English," I sighed.
"No, what are you humming?"
"Michelle, my belle," I sang. "These are words that go together well, my Michelle," I giggled.
"Stop singing that," he said.
"What? Why?"
"I just...I don't like that song..."
"Well I like," I frowned. "There's French in it and if you haven't noticed, I'm from France,"
"I just don't like the band..."
"Why not? I think they're very good. The...oh god, what's their name? The Beatles! Oh, oui, The Beatles!"
"I hate The Beatles..."
"But why?" I smiled. "Is it because your friend, Paul, was in the band?"
"How do you know that?"
"Well, because Julian told me..."
"Did he tell you who else was in the band?"
"He said there was this fellow named Richard and another man named George," I said.
"Anyone else?"
"No...are there more people?"
"No," he sighed. "Jules!"
"I'm here..." he said.
"So, where are we going, John?"
"A circus,"
"Oh..."
"Is that okay?"
"Yeah...yeah..." I lied. "When you said, go out to a show, I thought you meant a play..."
"But a play wouldn't entertain the boys," he said.
"Tu as raison,"
"English,"
"You're right," I frowned. "Allons-y."

***

"Wow, these are really close to the front," I said.
"I get only the best for my boys," John smiled as he lightly rubbed Sean's head.

We took our seats and for whatever reason, people kept walking up to John and asking him to sign things. After a few minutes of that, the lights dimmed and music started playing.

For the benefit of Mr. Kite
There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo Fanques' fair, what a scene...

"Dad," Julian whispered as he tugged on John's sleeve.
"Don't say anything," John warned.

The celebrated Mr. K
Performs his feats on Saturday at Bishopsgate
The Hendersons will dance and sing
As Mr. Kite flies through the ring, don't be late...

"John," I choked out. "Who's circus is this?"
"I don't know,"
"John, I need to go,"
"What? Why? The show hasn't even started,"
"John, you don't understand,"
"What don't I understand?"
"I think this is my family's circus..." I cried. "Are you...Are you trying to send me back?"
"What? No...no, I'd never send you back,"
"Can-Can we go home?"
"Michelle, I know you don't wan a go back but, what are the odds of them finding you?"
"Oui, you're right," I mumbled.

We sat there, observing the show for about an hour, before papa said he needed a few volunteers. He walked up to us and gave me an evil smile before he spoke.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle, what's your name?"
"M-Michelle..."
"Mademoiselle Michelle, would you mind if we borrowed your son?" he said as he pointed to Julian.
"He's th...th..."
"He's thirteen," John helped. "He can make his own decisions,"
"Okay," papa said. "Julian, is it?"
"Yeah,"
"Would you like to be our assistant today?"
"Depends on what I'll be doing,"
"Our tightrope act,"

No...

"I'll do it," I quickly said.
"Merci Mademoiselle,"
"I got Sean," John said. "Be careful,"
"I feel like you forget that I've been doing this for twenty years," I smirked.
"Viens chéri," (Come on, darling,) Papa said. "Donc, ceci est où vous avez exécuté hors de," (So this is where you ran off to,)
"Oui,"
"Lève-toi là. Nous parlerons plus tard," (Get up there, we'll talk later,)
"Je ne vous parle pas," (I'm not talking to you,)
"Nous verrons," (We'll see,)

I climbed the ladder and stood over everyone, on the platform.

"Bienvenue, Michelle," (Welcome back, Michelle,) my brother smiled.
"Finissons-en avec," (Let's just get this over with,)

He handed me the pole I used to walk across the rope with; I walked back a forth a few times just to please the crowd. When I was done, I gave my brother the pole, raced down the ladder, and walked back to my seat.

"Let's go," I mumbled. "If we stay, I'll have to talk to him... Please don't make me do that..."
"Okay," John nodded. "Jules, let's go."

***

"Hey Michelle," Julian said, when we got home.
"Yeah?"
"The circus was really cool. Your family sure can put on a show,"
"Oui, they can,"
"Michelle," John said. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"
"Oui," I said as I handed Sean to Julian.
"Michelle, I am so sorry about today... I knew it was your family's circus and I still made you stay and that was extremely rude of me. You wanted to leave and we should have... Now, thanks to me, your family knows where you are. I am so sorry..."
"It's fine, John," I said. "So, that song that was playing before the show... His voice sounded very familiar..."
"Really? I've never-"
"Stop it John...just tell me the truth,"
"Fine," he sighed. "I am John Lennon, creator of The Beatles. We were the most famous band of our time and we're all still making music, separately, today. Okay? Is that what you wanted to hear?"
"Oui," I smiled. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

He looked to the ground for a moment, then he grabbed my shoulders and forced me into a kiss. My eyes shot open, my body froze, and everything around me seemed to disappear. When he pulled away, I stood there, speechless.

"Wow..." I whispered.
"I didn't tell you, because I wanted you to know me...not John Lennon..."
"Wait, you-"
"Yes, I like you," he blushed. "By the way, how long have you known?"
"Oh, Johnny Boy, your face is everywhere in this country. It didn't take me long to figure out who you were,"
"Why didn't you confront me sooner?"
"Cause I wanted you to tell me when you were ready,"
"I appreciate that," he smiled as he kissed me again.
"J-John," I stuttered. "You should know, I've never had a boyfriend. Is that how you say it?"
"Yes," he smiled. "And it's fine..."
"Can...can we take it slow?" I asked.
"Oui."