12

YEAR: 1980

•Michelle's POV•

Papa has been around every few months to say hello, and have a nice meal. The kids have really grown fond of my father, and are always excited when he comes over to visit.

Papa's birthday was right around the corner, so John and I invited my family over from France to spend it with us. I haven't seen a lot of them in nearly five years, so this was a huge deal. Papa and mama came to visit me the day before the family arrived, so mama could get acquainted with everyone.

"Bonjour chérie," mama greeted.
"Bonjour mama!" I cheered, giving her a hug. "Mama, c'est mon mari, John." (Mama, this is my husband, John.)
"Oh, j'ai beaucoup entendu parler de vous." (Oh, I've heard a lot about you.)
"Lucille, chérie, voudrais-tu parler en anglais?" (Lucille, darling, would you mind speaking in English?) papa said
"Oh, d'accord," she beamed. "Do you prefer to be called John or Jonathon?"
"My name is John," John said.
"Alright then," she giggled. "So, Michelle, where are my little grandchildren?"
"They're in the living room," I smiled. "Sean! Julian!" I called.
"Yeah?" Julian raised a brow, running in with Sean.
"This is my mother-"
"But you can call me nana... or grandma. Whatever you prefer," she smiled.
"Okay," Julian whispered.
"Sean, why don't you say hello," I encouraged.
"Hi," he waved.
"So how old are they?" mama asked.
"Julian is seventeen and Sean will be five later this year."
"They're very handsome." Mama smiled as she pinched their cheeks. Julian twisted his face and slowly backed away.
"Jules isn't very social," I said. I wrapped my arm around the moody teenager as he pouted. "You can go if you want," I told him.
"Okay," he shrugged. As he headed for the lounge, the phone started ringing. "I got it," he said.
"Thanks, bub," I said.
"No problem." He ran into the living room and picked up the phone. "Hello, Lennon residence, Julian speaking."
"Oh, hi Jules. Is your mother home?"
"Yes she is."
"May I speak to her?"
"Who is this?"
"Oh, my bad, dear," the lady chuckled. "It's Cynthia."
"Oh..."
"Are you alright?"
"Why are you calling?"
"Honey, I just want to speak with your mother."
"Why?" Julian yelled.
"What the hell is going on in here?" I asked. I walked into the lounge, followed by John, and the rest of my family. "Who are you yelling at?"
"N-No one..."
"Who's on the phone?" John asked.
"No one..."
"You don't yell at anyone..." I said. "Give me the phone."
"No."
"John Charles Julian Lennon, listen to your mother!" John yelled. Julian frowned and handed the phone to me.
"Hello? Who's this?"
"Oh, good, he got you!"
"Who is this?"
"It's Cynthia."
"Oh, Jésus Christ," I groaned. "Why were you yelling at Cyn?"
"I wasn't..."
"It's not polite to lie," I smirked as I held the phone up to my ear. "Bonjour chérie. How are you?"
"I'm good."
"May I ask why you're calling?"
"I was just wondering if you wanted to come to lunch with me."
"Oh, I'd love to, but my family's in town."
"Oh, alright. Maybe another time?"
"Chérie, go," papa insisted. "I'd love to see what your lovely husband is like when you're not around."
"Really?"
"Really, go."
"Cyn, I can-"
"I heard. See you at Zizi's, in what? Ten minutes?"
"See you," I said as I hung up. "Well, I guess I'm having lunch with Cynthia."
"Have fun," mama said as she kissed my cheek.
"I'll be back in an hour or so."
"Bye love," John said.

I waved goodbye to everyone as I got my coat on. I grabbed my purse, swung it over my shoulder, and headed for the front door.

"Mummy!" Sean cried.
"Yeah?" I whispered. I got on my knees and held his hands. "What's wrong?"
"Don't go..."
"Oh, honey..." I sighed as I pushed his hair out of his face. "I'm just going to lunch..."
"Don't go..."
"Wanna come with me?" The little boy nodded. "Okay, come on." I picked him up and rest him on my waist. "We'll be back later. Au revoir."

***

"Hey," Cynthia said.
"Hello." I lightly kissed her cheeks before setting Sean down in the booth. "I hope you don't mind that I brought Sean."
"Oh, not at all," she smiled. "So how are you?"
"I'm okay. You?"
"I'm well."
"So why did you want to have lunch today?"
"I don't know. I was in the area, and we haven't seen much of each other lately, and-"
"Cyn, what's the real reason?"
"Fine," she sighed. "I just wanted to warn you about-"
"Oh, dieu," I huffed. "About John?"
"Yes..."
"I don't need anymore warnings. Since I got here, everyone John knew was warning me about him. I'm honestly sick of it. He loves me... there's nothing he would ever do to hurt me..."
"Yeah, he loved me too..."
"It's-"
"Different with you? Yeah, I'm sure," Cynthia rolled her eyes.
"It is different with me..."
"Mum," Sean tugged on my shirt.
"Yeah?"
"I'm tired..."
"Then why'd you want to come?" He pouted and shrugged. "You didn't want to be around grandma and grandpa?"
"No... I'm just sleepy..."
"Lean against me and take a nap, okay?"
"M'kay..." he mumbled.
"Anyway, John and I are different."
"How?"
"He's not cheating on me."
"How do you know? Does he tell you about the women he sleeps with?"
"He told you..."
"Who told you that?"
"Jules..."
"How does he-"
"Who's Brigitte?"
"Brigitte Bardot..." Cynthia huffed.
"The French actress?"
"Yeah... he's always been fond of the French ones..."
"So I'm just the next 'French one'?"
"I guess so..."
"Look, I didn't come here to be 'warned' about my husband. I came her for a nice lunch and some quality time with a friend. If you're going to continue talking like this, I will leave."
"Fine, I'm sorry," she said as she sipped her tea. "So how's Julian?"
"He's fine."
"Is he really?"
"Yeah," I shrugged. "He's very quiet..."
"He always was," she smiled.
"He must get it from you."
"Yeah, he must..."

***

"Ah, chérie! You're back!" papa said.
"Yes, I am," I whispered. "I'm going to put Sean down for a quick nap. I'll be right back."
"D'accord," mama smiled.

I headed upstairs to put Sean down; little did I know, Julian followed me up. Once I was in Sean's room, Julian came in behind me and closed the door.

"Mum," he whispered.
"Oh!" I gasped. "Jules," I giggled as I tucked Sean into bed. "Why'd you follow me?"
"I need to tell you something..."
"What's wrong? Is everything at school okay?"
"Yeah, everything's fine at school."
"Do you have a crush on someone? Is it that Heather girl? Oh, you two would be so cute together!"
"No, mum," he sighed. "It's about dad..."