8

YEAR: 1976

•Michelle's POV•

"What?" John asked.
"Will you marry me?"
"Michelle, I-"
"Please," I begged. "If another policeman comes around, he'll try to deport me, and marrying you is the fastest way, and please John, please marry me..."
"Michelle, do you know how long it takes to plan a wedding? We'd be better off just having you take a citizenship test,"
"But I don't know anything," I cried. "And it doesn't have to be a big wedding... We could go to the court house and have it be nice and quick. Please, John, I need to be a legal citizen..."
"Fine," he sighed. "I'll pick up the paperwork later today, we'll sign what we need to sign, then we'll get married as soon as we can. Okay?"
"Oh, merci John! Merci!" I cheered as I hugged him. "Je t'aime tellement!"
"I love you too," he smiled, giving me a quick kiss. "I'm gonna run into town now and pick up the papers, okay?"
"Okay."

***

I did what I always did; tidied up the house, took care of the kids, and cooked. While John was away, nothing changed.

"Hey Michelle," Julian said.
"Yeah, bub?"
"Did I hear that you and dad are getting married?"
"Yeah, hopefully," I shrugged. "Why?"
"Just wondering," he said. "Are you um... Are you gonna adopt my brother and I?"
"I don't know," I said. "Probably not,"
"Why not?"
"Because, I don't know if I legally can,"
"Oh..."
"Why?"
"Well, cause... I'm just..."
"Spit it out, dear,"
"I'm concerned about my birth mum,"
"Why?"
"I'm just scared that she'd freak out or something,"
"I'm sure your mum is very nice,"
"She is but..." he trailed off. "I don't know..."
"When was the last time you talked to your mother?"
"Oh my god," he huffed. "Nine years ago,"
"Why so long?"
"She gave me up," he said.
"Oh... I'm so sorry..."
"Don't be," he mumbled. "At least you don't have to worry about Sean's mum,"
"Why not?"
"Cause she died," he said. "Didn't dad tell you?"
"No..."
"Oh... Well yeah, she died,"
"Did your mum freak out when she took care of you?"
"No," he said. "But she never adopted me," 
"What's your mums name?"
"Cynthia,"
"What's her last name, dear?"
"Why?"
"I wanna talk to her,"
"No! Michelle, please don't,"
"It's not like I'm gonna drag you along with me," I chuckled. "Come on, bub, what's her last name?"
"Powell," he mumbled.
"Thank you," I smiled.

I walked over to the phone book, which say right next to the phone, and started searching for her number. Once I found it, I punched in the numbers and sat through the rings.

"Hello, Cynthia Powell speaking. Who's this?"
"Hello, Ms. Powell, my name is Michelle Kite, and-"
"Oh, you're the French bird dating John," she said.
"You've heard of me?"
"Who hasn't? You're all over the news, chickie baby,"
"I wasn't aware," I said.
"How can I help you, dear?" she giggled.
"I was wondering if you wanted to have lunch sometime,"
"Why on earth would you want to have lunch with me?"
"Well, I just wanted to meet Julian's mum; that's all,"
"Why though, dear?"
"Well, Julian's just a very sweet boy and he clearly doesn't get that from John-"
"No, he does not," she interrupted. "I'm sorry, continue,"
"I just wanted to meet the nice side of him," I laughed. "Are you free anytime soon?"
"I'm free this afternoon," she smiled. 
"Great! Where do you want to go?"
"Do you know where Evergreen Street is?"
"I believe so,"
"There's a little diner on the corner. Meet me there at three,"
"I'll try," I said. "John is currently out and I don't know when he'll be back,"
"Michelle!" I heard the intercom ring. "Can you unlock the gate and let me in?"
"Never mind," I chuckled. "He's home; I have to let him in. I'll see you at three then, yeah?"
"Yeah, see you at three,"

I cracked a smile and hung the phone up. I walked over to the buzzer, that controlled the outside gate, and let John in. Once he entered the house, he gave me a kiss and handed me a rather large folder filled to the brim with paperwork.

"So, I got the papers; we get married on Friday. And, as soon as you fill out the paperwork, and I get Cynthia to sign off on a few things, Julian and Sean are all yours," he smiled.
"Wait, I can legally adopt them?"
"No, but I'm a Beatle and I get what I want," he smirked.
"You're the best," I sighed as I hugged him. "Hey, I'm actually going to lunch with Cynthia today, so if-"
"You're what?" he asked. "Does she know we're together?"
"Yes..."
"And she's okay with it?"
"Why wouldn't she be?" I raised a brow. "Anyway, just mark what she needs to sign and I'll give it to her,"
"Fine," he pouted. "What time do you need to be there?"
"Three."