10

YEAR: 1978

•Michelle's POV•

"Nine... Ten! Ready or not, here I come!" Sean yelled. He wandered around for a while as he searched for me. After a few minutes, with no luck, he gave up. "Mummy, I can't find you! Where are you?"
"What are you doing?" John asked.

He had just gotten home from the recording studio, and I think he also had a meeting with his manager. Whatever it was, he didn't seem happy when he returned.

"Oh, hi daddy..."
"What are you doing?" John repeated.
"Playing hide and seek with mummy..."
"Oh? Who's winning?"
"She is," he pouted.
"Want me to help you look?"
"Yes please."
"Okay, come on," he said.

The two boys split up, and began looking for me throughout the house. Another few minutes passed, and still, no luck.

"Michelle!" John called. "Michelle!"
"What are you guys doing?" Julian asked as he walked out of his room.
"Playing hide and seek," John mumbled. "Have you see your mother?"
"Yeah."
"Where is she?"
"If you're playing hide and seek then I'm not telling."
"Julian-"
"She's in the study," Julian laughed.
"Thanks," John said. He walked down the hall, and headed into his study. "Michelle," he called. "Michelle, I know you're in here..."
"How'd you find me?" I asked.
"Jules told me," he smiled.
"How dare he," I giggled.
"Sean! I found her!" John yelled. "Come on, love," he said as he helped me up.
"How was your meeting?"
"It was fine, I guess. It was a meeting, y'know?"
"No, I don't know actually," I laughed.
"Oh yeah," he smirked.
"Hey, I'm bored," I pouted. I stepped in front of him, so he couldn't walk any further, and gingerly wrapped my arms around his neck.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah..."
"What do you wanna do?"
"Let's go to the park!" I cheered.
"You wanna go to the park?"
"Yeah... I haven't been out in forever."
"Darling, it's ten degrees outside."
"I don't see your point."
"Isn't it going to be a bit cold for you?"
"I'll just wear a sweater and a scarf," I shrugged.
"If you insist," he said as he kissed my cheek. "Boys! Get your coats on! We're going to the park!"

The boys did as John said, and we all met in the car within the next fifteen minutes. John drove us to the local park, where we let the kids play with one another, while John and I sat under an old pine tree.

"Look how happy they are," I smiled. "I love them so much."
"They love you," John said as he gazed at me.
"Well, I love you," I giggled.
"I bet I love you more," he said.

He lightly tackled me, and we both fell to the dirty ground. We just laughed as I attempted to push him off. After a few minutes of our play fighting, he eventually wrapped his left arm around me, and I leaned into him.

"Are you cold?"
"A little bit," I sighed. "It's fine though."
"Want my jacket?"
"No, I'm fine," I lied.
"You're such a bad liar, Mich," he chuckled. He sat up, removed his jacket, and handed it to me.
"I don't want you to be cold," I said, putting the jacket on.
"Don't worry about me."
"But-"
"No. Wear the jacket."
"Fine," I rolled my eyes, then went back to watching the kids.
"Hey..."
"Yeah?"
"I know you're still kinda young, but have you ever thought about having your own kids?"
"Well... yeah... Why?"
"I don't know, just see how happy Sean and Jules make you, and y'know... I was just wondering if you'd ever want your own kid."
"But Sean and Jules are my kids..."
"I mean your own biological kid."
"I wouldn't mind having my own baby," I said. "The question is, do you want another baby?"
"I wouldn't mind one," he said.
"Are we really gonna do this?" I whispered. "Are we really gonna try to have a baby?"
"I think we are..."

***

"No, I think he was being... oh, what's the word?" I mumbled.
"What are you struggling with, dear?" Cynthia asked.
"A word... it starts with a g I think."
"I need context."
"When someone's being serious. B-But it starts with a g."
"Genuine?"
"Yes!" I giggled. "Thanks Cyn," I said.
"Don't mention it. Anyway, you were saying?"
"I think he's serious about having another baby."
"Are you excited?"
"Well, yeah... Cyn-"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Hey, Cyn, someone's on the other line. I'll call you later. Okay?"
"Alright, darling. We're still on for lunch next week, right?"
"Yeah, of course. Bye."
"Bye." I switched lines, and quickly answered the person waiting.
"Hello?"
"Bonjour, chérie."
"Papa..." I gasped.
"Comment est ma fille préférée été?" (How's my favorite girl been?)
"Pourquoi m'appelle-tu?" (Why are you calling me?) I asked.
"Quelle? Un père ne peut pas vérifier sur sa fille?" (What? A father can't check on his daughter?)
"Tu sais que je ne veux pas vous parler..." (You know I don't want to speak to you...) I said as I shook.
"Michelle, ma chérie, tout ce que je veux savoir que vous êtes bien." (Michelle, darling, all I wish to know you are well.)
"Je vais bien. Je vous remercie. Au revoir, papa." (I'm well. Thank you. Goodbye, papa.)
"Michelle, s'il vous plaît ne soyez pas de cette façon." (Michelle, please don't be this way) he begged. "D'accord, Michelle, je vais être en ville en quelques jours. Cela signifierait le monde pour moi, si nous avions le dîner, et juste rattrapé. seriez-vous prêt à le faire pour moi?" (Okay, Michelle, I'm going to be in town in a few days. It would mean the world to me if we had dinner, and just caught up. would you be willing to do that for me?) he asked.
"J'imagine..." (I guess...)
"Splendide! Je te verrai le dimanche, à cinq. D'accord?" (Splendid! I'll see you on Sunday, at five. Okay?)
"D'accord..."