13 - Drugs, Gimme Drugs

a/n://rough draft, as usual; please point out any discrepancies//

"Alright, this looks good," Travis announces to the crowd. "Let's set up camp."

After our break of about thirty minutes, we continued on for a good hour or two and now we're here. We've reached a clearing of about twenty feet in diameter, the snow a little more sparse, despite the lack of a tree canopy overhead. The amount of snow on the ground has decreased over time, and I wonder if it's because we've lowered our elevation.

The grey forest has reached new depressing heights, however. The trek has become somewhat of a mind game, with its endless similarities, making me feel like we've done nothing but travel in circles. It tests your sanity. We go up a hill, down a hill, cross a brook. And with practically zero communication between Travis and I, my patience has run out fast. Boredom is an understatement.

In a way, so is jealousy.

Still, jealousy doesn't feel like the right word to me; I don't mind that Travis talks to Jada. To me, Jada acts like any other person. It'd be like him talking to another revolutionary or a friend; platonic at best. I guess I feel more betrayed than anything.

And I can't stop wondering, What the hell is so interesting about her to keep her at your side?

She's from a different planet. I get it. She's really cool to be around. She has a commanding presence about her. I get it.

But why her?

I feel a pat on my back, followed by the words, "And here I thought he'd never quit."

It's my mom.

I do one of those uncomfortable go-with-the-flow chuckles and uneasy smiles as she passes me. The crowd of us starts to form then and we all come to a stop. Again, some drop like flies.

"If the fire crew wants to start gathering, great," Travis says. "It'll get dark soon." Then he shares words with Jada, who then nods and musters up some of her revolutionary friends. I don't care to listen in on her conversation with them, mostly because I can't understand her much when she talks to her own people, but also because I really don't care.

As soon as Jada is doing her own thing, with her brother at her side, Travis is a free agent, who seemingly gets lonely fast. His familiar blue eyes flash to mine, but I don't bother holding contact. I turn away and make a move toward Stella, who's making conversation with Zeriah.

When I approach, it's obvious the Five are a little weary of me joining them, Zeriah in particular. He holds a standoff position like he's ready to retaliate if I act out on any of them—as if I had reason to. Everyone really does hate me.

Of course, Stella throws on a happy face and greets me as if nothing is wrong. "Hey, Aurora! Isn't it great we get to finally relax?"

I shrug. "Uh, yeah. I...I g—"

"Hey," Travis huffs out behind me. He sets his hand on my shoulder and I spin around at the touch, but have no desire to face him. "Want to help me with a shelter?"

I consider blowing him off, but it doesn't take long for me to remember I'm stuck with him in the woods for who knows how much longer. I can't create too much of a scene. Not that I want one. "You want me to help you. With a shelter. For who, everybody?" I ask, not afraid to show my claws.

Is he just going to pretend we haven't talked all day?

"For us," he says slowly, as if he doesn't understand why I'm annoyed.