35 - O R D E R S

"You know the cure?" President Thompson gasps.

"Travis was right when he said I was the one who created the virus," he confesses, hanging his head.

President Thompson squints, skeptical but trusting. "You...you really did?"

Brink glances up for a second and gives a slight nod before dropping his gaze once more.

"You killed...millions of people..." She stares somberly at Brink who continues to avoid her gaze. "My husband," she whispers. If I didn't have accelerated hearing, I doubt I would have heard her speak at all. "You realize the damage you've caused? All the lives you've taken? The..." she trails on, detailing at some point to where she simply cuts off her sentence and goes silent entirely.

The gravity in the room grows dark, and I glance at Stella who has yet to change anyone's mood. She's keeps her eyes down, and for a moment, I wonder if she's thinking about people she may be missing.

"We've all lost people," I add, internalizing my father's death, Katie's death, and so many others. "Now is the time to heal people and fix the root of the problem so he no longer can spread evil around. Kai must be stopped."

The president slowly nods. "I understand." There is a pause before, "You have my support. But you are not off the hook. Brink is to immediately set off to our laboratory to begin manufacturing the cure. You will work alongside our scientists to ensure proper usage of equipment and to inform them of the procedure.

"You two in the back will be informants to our defense. They will need to be informed on the potential situation in order to prepare.

"Aurora, you will mind your ability and join me in giving a speech to the Great Room this evening. You will then serve as a spokesperson for the cause and be in charge of spreading the word to the civilians."

Surprised, relieved, and excited, I nod, accepting the task and then release a gigantic sigh. This is working. Our plan is working.

"All of you. Follow me." President Thompson beckons at us and walks toward the door, being sure to step around the steel shrapnel on the way. She gives three knocks on the door before someone opens it up for her. She steps into the hallway, all of us right behind her.

The guards stare us down as we pass, mostly befuddled as we follow along like ducklings.

Brink weaves his fingers through mine as we walk and brings his lips to my ear. "I'm proud of you," he whispers.

My blush game is strong and the heat flushes my cheeks instantaneously. "Go save the world," I quietly say back and give him a small shove, a stupid smile on my face.

He winks at me and the president stops to direct Brink on where to go. The directions are simple, and I make sure to pay attention in case I ever need to visit. Brink squeezes my hand and gives me a kiss on the cheek before departing.

Next stop is Zeriah and Stella. We pause again, they are given instructions, and then they wander down another hallway, waving goodbye to me.

When the president and I are alone, the weight in the air is much more noticeable. It's strange to think I just tackled the President of the United States a little bit ago and didn't get shot or tackled to the ground myself. Instead we're working together in peace, just like I wanted from the beginning. I'm not exactly sure what she will say for the speech, but I guess I'll find out tonight. Maybe she just wanted me alone to scold me.

Back in the jail room, when she was reviewing our files, my stomach had dropped when she explained some of our DNA was "artificial," as if we were man-made. As in someone created us. Could that be possible? Does my mom know more than she's telling me? I thought we'd set my story straight. I thought I knew who I was now. What did the president mean?