39 - A L L / D R E S S E D / U P

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" squeals Stella.

It's early morning, and her shrill voice brings me out of my slumber. I untangle my arms and legs from lifeless Brink and sit up.

"What is it, Stella?" I groan as I stretch my arms far and wide.

"I am so pumped for tonight! It's going to be stellar!"

I chuckle weakly at her pun and roll out of bed. Before I leave to shower and dress, I gently brush my fingers through Brink's blue streak of hair and lean over to kiss his stubbly jaw. "Don't leave until I'm back," I tell him quietly as he comes to.

I grab a towel and a new set of clothes from the closet and give Stella an encouraging wink, along with, "Can't wait." Then I depart.

I shouldn't be alarmed when I spot two guards still outside our front door, but they make me jump out of my skin a little.

I enter the hall bathroom and quickly shower and dress, anxious to get the day moving. Part of me is excited about tonight, and another just wants this day to end. This whole experience inside the vault to end.

But what's next? Where do we go after this? Will there ever be "home" again?

"I thought I'd join you."

I shriek, but it's only Stella. "I miss long showers, I can tell you that. I miss running around naked in my garden, too!" she giggles.

I roll my eyes at her craziness and partially wish I could steal some rebellion. Sometimes I feel I tie myself down. Hold back.

"I'd shower in my waterfall. It was so fun. These two minute showers are a nightmare."

I roll my eyes like it bothers me, which if I think about it, it does suck a little. "Yeah, it's too bad. Now we just have to suffer," I say sarcastically, throwing my hand over my forehead like I'm about to faint.

"Have you checked out the makeup palette? Will you let me do your makeup? Omigosh you have to!"

I shrug. "Sure. Want me to get it while you get dre—oh you brought it."

She smiles devilishly. "Sit on the toilet, go on!"

"What?"

She gives me a shove and I nearly trip into a stall. I pull the lid down and perch on top of it, crossing my arms as I wait. "We could just go back to the room like normal people," I suggest.

"Oh hush. Alright, let me grab..." She fumbles for her tools. "Okay, ready?"

I shrug.

"I said are you ready?"

"Just do it," I whine.

While she smears, wipes, and blots all kinds of stuff on my face, I sit still as a statue, giving her no reason to have any major screw ups. I'm patient as can be, but the pulling, stretching, and pinching wear down my nerves pretty quick.

And to think I missed out by not having my own school prom.

Stella finishes by combing through my hair gently, holding an award winning smile. "You really are gorgeous," she compliments me.

I automatically blush and shrink a little. "Thanks."

Her hands come out of my hair, strands of red locks stuck between her fingers. She shakes them out and stands back a ways to view me on a larger scale, hand on her chin. She whistles and claps a few times as she announces, "I'm finished!"