47 - H A V O C

No one says a word. Mostly because we're too confused to comprehend the information, but also because I don't know whether to believe him or not. Could he be telling the truth? Is there meaning behind his words?

Did he create us?

Kai laughs, his scratchy, smoker voice anything but pleasant. "Welcome home."

I grimace deeper and peek at the others. Am I the only one hearing this or the only one buying this?

"I am Kai, as you know. Ruler of all." He waves his arm out to introduce himself. "I am so glad you have chosen to come to me and assist me on my journey to power." His fingers spread into a jazz hand at the last word.

I can't help but double check that I am handcuffed against my will to be here. I wouldn't exactly say we chose any of this.

"After all, this is where you belong." Kai paces the floor, down and back in front of us, talking with his hands. "You were all born just downstairs, in one of these very labs, where Callista monitored each of you for months until birth."

Callista?

"For years, we tried to create humans capable of what you can do. My scientists worked endlessly to genetically modify DNA to construct my masterpieces. Overtime, what we got from the experiments were incredible. Near immortals with special abilities. Perfect, healthy specimens with different talents. We were on track for greatness." Kai smiles before his face slides downward. "That is until Callista decided to turn against me," he snarls, balling up his hands into fists. "She took you and sent you off to different worlds so that I could never get my hands on your potential. She thought she could stop me, hah! Look who was wrong! We rounded you up and expanded you to your maximum potential, and here you are, exactly where I want you."

I was born in a laboratory. I'm not even human. I'm an experiment. We all are. We're mixes and stirs and drops of artificial elements. I was never conceived. I was manufactured by a scientist, not my mother and father. I was supposed to serve this world and help Kai take over others with my fellow experimental cohorts. Everything I've ever known...has been falsified. My entire life has been a coverup. I don't know who I am anymore.

This Callista obviously didn't agree with Kai in the long run. She had the courage to set us all free. What made her give us a life outside what we were made for? She sacrificed everything to give us something better...a stranger...but Kai prevailed, nonetheless. Did he kill her for betraying him? Maybe she still wanders this universe...

"Where is Tallic?" Xena interrupts my thoughts.

I blink my way back to the present and watch Kai's dark eyes turn to slits as he glares at Xena. "I thought you took care of her, Damon."

My eyes flash to the man in white standing next to him. The exact opposite, yet exactly the same. "I did. As we will with the others," he answers.

Kai shakes his head, his lip furling at the response. "Then why is she asking!" he demands. "It's over, Xena."

Xena takes a step forward, but a guard yanks her back.

"IDIOTS!" Kai bellows. "Can't you contain her? See? This is exactly why I need you." Kai saunters closer to us for a better look. I'm on the end, so he starts with me. I stiffen the nearer he gets, holding my breath when his pitch-black eyes fall upon me. He slides his hand down the length of my right arm and I shiver. "Power," he breathes, and moves on to Zeriah and grabs him by the jaw. "Defense." Brink is next and I gnaw at my lip when Kai takes him and Stella by the shoulders. "Control." When he meets Xena, I notice Zeriah gulp from the corner of my eye. Kai merely laughs at her. "Irritating."