Pain Hurts

Natsu's POV

       My head was down, my hood was up, I was quiet, and I was walking at a normal speed. I blend in! But no, by some reverse miracle as soon as I got to my locker, Evergreen walks up. 

     "Hello there," she purrs, leaning against my locker. 

     I didn't respond. Instead I turned the dial to the first number of my combination. 

     "So, when did you come out as gay again?" She continues. 

       Second number. 

       "Why even choose to be gay when you get beat up for it?" 

       Third number. I pulled up the clasp and my locker door popped open. 

      "I was asking you a question!" She suddenly screamed as she slammed my locker. I barely had time to move my hands away so they wouldn't get crushed by the door.

      Her screams attracted the attention of everyone in the hallway. At least fifty pairs of eyes were on me, and none of them were all too friendly. "Sorry," I whispered, slinking back into the wall. 

      "Too late for that one Fag," she insulted, "I saw you talking to Laxus's cousin in gym today and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be doing that," she paused, "maybe I'll just... inform him." 

      And just like that she was gone has soon as she came. 

     Dammit. Why did I have to go and talk to Gray! If only he wasn't so perfect and charming and related to Laxus! THAN I WOULDN'T HAVE A FUCKING PROBLEM! But he is and he is and he is so I'm gonna have to deal with it. Now is the real question though. Do I stop talking to Gray... 

     "Hey Natsu!" Gajeel said, running up to me. "What was all that about? Is she picking on you for being gay again!?"

      Gajeel is pretty strong. Not Laxus strong, but I'm pretty sure he could take Bixlow and Freed in a fight. I'm sure he would have beaten that whole squad to a pulp by now if it weren't for his friends. Just like everyone in this school, image comes first and although he doesn't show it, my brother cares about popularity just as much as every other low life in this school. Plus, I don't want him to get hurt because of me. I can fight my own battles... or.... run away from them at least. 

      "It was nothing big Gajeel," I replied, lieing through my teeth. 

        "Okay little brother, but tell me if somethings up," He retorted, ruffling my hair and walking off. 

      I fixed my hair with a grunt while reopening my locker and getting out my lunch. Than I met Lucy and we sat together on our normal bench in the courtyard. 

     "So, did you figure out what you're gonna do?" She asked after I had told her the whole story and summarized my dilemma in even more depth. 

     "I have no clue Lucy. I mean... Gray is just... wow. He's so sweet, but than I have to think to myself if a relationship with him would be worth dealing with, well, the repercussions."

     "Yeah," she acknowledged. "I think that if he really likes you and you really like him you should give it a chance. Love isn't something people find very often."

     I stiffened up, " I never said I loved him!" 

     "You're blushing," she giggled, covering her mouth in an attempt to mask her amusement. 

    I groaned and picked up my sandwich. I was about to take a small bite when I someone behind me. I looked at Lucy, who had a look of panic on her face. It was at that moment that I realized the courtyard was completely empty. No teachers or students in sight. Swallowing hard, I turned around slowly in my seat. I shouldn't have been surprised to see Laxus, Bixlow, Evergreen, and Freed standing there. 

    "I warned you Dragneel," Laxus gritted through his teeth, "I told you not to talk to my cousin."

    I put my hands up in surrender. "I didn't I swear! He talked to me first! I was just telling him to get away!" 

    "That's not what we heard," Bixlow inputted.  

     "Leave him alone!" Lucy yelled, suddenly becoming confident. 

    Laxus just laughed. "Sorry little lady, no can do. Natsu here has got to learn the consequences of going against me."

     Before either of us could say anything, I was lifted up by the collar of my shirt and thrown against the wall. Without a moments hesitation, Bixlow was in front of me and kicking me in the gut. I groaned in pain, but was too scared to move. I felt Laxus grab my arm and drop me to the ground yet again, ensuring he did maximum damage. After what felt like twenty kicks to the gut, the two of them backed down. 

     "Why aren't you joinin in Freed?" Laxus asked, motioning to my crippled body. 

     The green haired man wrinkled his face in disgust, "Not today." 

     Bixlow and Laxus shared a glance before turning back to me. "Leave. Gray. Alone."