Chapter 4 ISS (International Space Station)

Chapter 4 - ISS (International Space Station)
----------------------------♡--------------------------
Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.
~ Markus Zusak
----------------------------♡--------------------------

"No one recognized you?" Aunt Arisa asked, more surprised than relieved.

I flopped on the couch, my feet stretched out on the table in front. An actual high school was slightly exhausting in comparison to my homeschooling experience. Nonetheless, I had a more fun time making friends with people my own age. Let's just say, bodyguards don't gossip, act like Regina George, or give out hugs.

At least my bodyguards didn't.

Most of them didn't even like Shakespeare!

How do these people even survive?

"Noor!" Aunt Arisa's voice broke me out of my thoughts.

"Oh sorry, my mind flew out of the Milky Way Galaxy," I said apologetically. "It's back again. What were you saying? No one figured out who I was?" She nodded. "Considering that the President's daughter was a Hijabi Muslimah sporting a triple chin with hardly a trace of makeup . . . I don't look like her anymore."

The horrible, depressing past now seemed like a faint memory even though that was me a few months ago. It was almost laughable. I, the Great Noor Khan, broke the obesity scale. I mean when I stepped on a weighing machine, the little arrow might as well have landed on a "to be continued" sign.

Aunt Arisa and Uncle George were aware of the scenario with the binge eating, lazy-ing around, and falling into depression at the amount of hate I read on social media and newspapers and websites.

"Oh," she said softly, not bothering to inquire any further.

"Mind you, I think it was just the nerd glasses." I pushed the thick glasses off my nose for a moment to show her the difference, before putting them back on. "Everyone treated me as a regular student even the teachers," I said quite satisfied.

"Really?"

"Yup, the Study Skills teacher even gave me a warning that if I didn't stop chattering with my neighbors, she'd send me to ISS," I answered happily.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What's ISS?"

"International Space Station, duh!" How could she not know?

"It's In-School Suspension, stupid." Both my aunt and I turned to the third voice--Miley--and stared at her. She was in her room upstairs the whole time. I didn't know why she chose to come down, now.

"You almost got suspended?" Aunt Arisa asked me horrified.

I waved my hand dismissively.

"It's International Space Station, Toby told me. Don't believe her," I said, correcting Miley. Why in the world would a teacher suspend a student for talking?

When did they start punishing students for their freedom of speech?

Such oppression!

It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

"Noor--" Aunt Arisa started.