2) The Proposition

Valerie POV

After what felt like an hour it was already one. I heard a tentative knock on the door before Victor belted out, "Enter!"

I looked up and saw Ben Grimm open the door for his friend, the great Reed Richards himself.

"Hello Victor," Reed said nervously. Ben snorted in embarrassment and disappointment. Me, literally everyday of my life.

"Get on with it Richards," Victor drawled. Reed gulped and dived into his mission. He was spitting out a multitude of words that I knew my brother had no hope of comprehending.

"My research suggests that exposure to a high energy cosmic storm—born on solar winds—might have triggered the evolution of Earth's early planetary life," Reed started. He had a hologram projected into the air that displayed his storm passing over Earth. He pressed a button before continuing.

"In six weeks, another cloud, with the same elemental profile, will pass Earth's orbit. A study conducted in space could fundamentally advance our knowledge about the structure of the human genome, cure countless diseases, extend human life, give kids a chance to live longer, stronger, happier, healthier—"

"Shut it off," Victor interrupted irritatedly. "Please."

"I don't think I've explained my proposal fully—" Reed tried again, but once more, Victor cut him off.

"Oh no, I think you have. Same old Reed, always stretching, reaching for the stars with the weight of the world on his back. But dreams don't pay the bills do they?" Victor asked sarcastically, and even I cringed when he threw a magazine onto the table that read 'Reed Richards Bankrupt'. You could see the regret in Reed's face, but once more he tried to convince my brother to back his project.

"You remember, when we were in school, we talked about working together. Well that's what I was about to explain." He clicked a different button on his remote and a hologram of Victor's space station popped up. Uh-oh. Reed was in trouble if he was after not only my brother's money, but one of his favorite toys as well.

"The storm is deadly, but the shields in your station's control room are designed to protect any occupants inside," Reed went on. Victor clicked on the lights and I shook my head. Wrong approach, Richards. I knew my brother well enough that I could guess what would most likely happen next. I took a step away from everyone in anticipation.

"So, it's not just my money you want, it's my toys," Victor hissed. Reed nodded, unaware of the invisible steam coming out of Victor's ears. Victor smirked.

"Tell me, if NASA doesn't trust you, then why should I?" I knew that Victor had hit a sore spot by the way Reed's eyes widened, and the glance he exchanged with his companion. Victor noticed it too, and he laughed loudly, sounding like the douche he was.

"That's my job. To stay a step ahead—to know what other men don't," Victor continued arrogantly. And there was the side of Victor that I could barely stand. His cocky billionaire side. Where would that side of him be without me? I wondered.

Ben apparently didn't like Victor's cocky side either. He quickly turned to Reed and grumbled, "I can't take this."

"Ben, this is just business." Reed murmured reassuringly.

"He's right, Ben," I heard Susan say as she entered behind the pair. "It is just business." Reed immediately stiffened at the sound of her voice and Ben turned to look at her.

"I think you both know my Director and Head of Research, Susan Storm," Victor introduced. As if the boys needed to be told who Susan was. Reed slowly turned to face Susan.