5) Revelations

Valerie POV

I regained consciousness to the sound of a voice. The light in wherever I was looked red through my closed eyelids.

"—Storm, you can stay as long as you like."

Storm? So I guess that means Susan is okay. But that didn't answer the question of where I was or how I got there.

Someone stroked my hair and I got the feeling that I was being watched. I didn't know if I had the strength yet to open my eyes and greet Sue.

Suddenly I felt a rough hand take my own. Last time I checked Sue did not have hands that large or calloused. So my brother maybe? So they're both okay and are checking on me I guess?

"I'm so sorry, Val. I know I hurt you and betrayed your trust, I just wish you'd let me explain."

I knew that voice. I could place it anywhere. So Johnny Storm was the one checking up on me, not Susan and Victor. So were they okay? And what about Reed and Ben?

And why was Johnny Storm of all people in my room watching me while I slept? The strangeness of the situation hit me and I wished dearly that I could wake up fully and slap Johnny upside the head.

"I know you can't hear me right now, but I need to say things to you without you interrupting me or running off. I know I deserve the insults and distrust, but I want you to know that I never meant to hurt you of all people, Val. You were my best friend, I would've done anything for you. I thought that I could be with you and it would be different than with the other girls, because you knew the real me, but my past got in the way. I just want you to know that I still feel the same way about you as I did back then, and what you saw wasn't the whole story. I wish I could tell a conscious you what really happened, because getting all this off my chest now is like cheating. You can't hear me and you can't defend yourself or answer. You probably don't even know I'm here, and that's a good thing because you would slap me silly for watching you while you sleep. I should go."

The warm hand encasing my own disappeared and I felt alone. I'd sat through his explanation shocked about what he was saying. I'd never let him tell me his side of the story because I figured it would all be lies anyway or that it would just hurt more. But what if I only saw part of what happened?

I heard a rustling above my head and the hand stroking my hair pulled away too. As I felt it abandoning my hair, I summoned what strength I had and lifted my hand to grab his wrist. I slowly peeled open my eyes and gazed up at Johnny's shocked face.

"What do you mean?" I croaked.

"Val? You heard all of that?" Johnny asked.

"Duh," I rasped. He handed me a glass of water from the side table and helped me to sit up so I could drink it. I sipped the water while Johnny stared me down.

"So..." I drew out. Since I'd revealed to Johnny that I was awake, it had been awkward between us. He just stared at me dumbfounded.

"Were you serious then?" I demanded. He nodded slowly. I exhaled with exasperation.

"Then say something or get out! When you just sit there like that it makes me think that you lied just now because you knew I was listening! You wanted to explain your side of the story to a conscious me so do it before I think you're trying to use me again!" I shouted.

"Well, umm, where should I start?" He asked uncertainly.

"The beginning," I replied with an eye roll.