19) Pick A Side

Valerie POV

I woke up to the sun shining through my curtains. Wait, those aren't my curtains. Where the hell am I?

I looked around the room I'd fallen asleep in and couldn't identify where I was. Just then, the door to the room opened, revealing Victor smiling in my doorway. Suddenly the whole night came rushing back. Johnny. The dinner. Victor's problem. All of it.

I smiled softly at my brother and sat up. I noticed that I was in the same clothes I'd worn as pajamas last night. They looked to be one of Vic's shirts and a pair of his shorts. I also realized for the first time that Vic was wearing gloves, and his face had a bandage on the left side. It had been the same way last night, but I hadn't payed any attention.

"What time is it?" I asked groggily.

"Around noon," Victor replied nonchalantly. My eyes nearly burst out of my head. Holy crap!

"I slept that long?" I asked flabbergasted.

"To be fair, you were up pretty late. You needed to recharge," Vic chuckled.

"I guess," I said shocked.

"I had breakfast made. I can show you there," he suggested.

I pulled back the blankets and swung my legs over the side of the bed, nodding in agreement. Victor moved away from the door as I rose and followed him out into the hallway.

I couldn't remember the details of the apartment from last night, in my drowsiness. I gazed around the halls with new eyes as my brother led me to his luxurious dining room. Everything looked so modern and classy, from the hanging pictures to the dining table.

Victor brought me to the far end of the table, where two plates of food rested. The head of the table and the seat to its right were both set. Victor took his seat at the head of the table while I took my customary place to his right. It had been this way for as long as I could remember. My plate was full of bacon, eggs, and pancakes while Vic's had plain sausage and waffles. I also noticed that my favorite syrup and whipped cream had been set on the table. A mischievous smirk made its way onto my face as I began layering my pancakes with the tasty toppings.

I smiled happily at my favorite breakfast foods and dug in gratefully, nearly groaning at its heavenly taste. Victor gave me an amused look before he coldly began eating his own boring breakfast. Although waffles are normally pretty fun...

After I'd demolished my lovely breakfast, I politely wiped my hands and face with a napkin and waited for Victor to finish his. He chewed and swallowed his last bite and also wiped himself off with a napkin. We stared at each other for a moment until Vic blinked.

"Ha! I win!" I shouted childishly. He chuckled at my enthusiasm.

"I've missed you, Valerie," Vic admitted. I smiled fondly at my older brother.

"I've missed you, too, Victor," I returned.

"Oh, I nearly forgot. Now I can show you what I meant to last night," he remembered, rising to his feet. "Come with me, it's not exactly an activity for the dining room."

I stood and walked with Victor down the immaculate hall to what looked like an indoor gym. I raised an eyebrow in surprise. Victor had never really been the type to work out.