11) He's Back...

Valerie POV

"Well this is unexpected."

My eyes widened in surprise and I practically shoved Johnny off of me.

"Victor?! What the hell are you doing here?" I yelled out in shock.

"I came to check on my sister to see if she was alright. I saw the news," he drawled.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes and sigh. I heard Johnny groan from his position on the floor. I gave him an apologetic look before turning back to my brother.

"Yes, I can understand that, but surely you've heard of knocking?" I demanded. He chuckled dryly at my remark.

"Dear sister mine, I thought you were smarter than this. For 'the brains of the company', you sure aren't making a very smart choice," he warned.

I narrowed my eyes at him in resentment. If he was referring to Johnny and I then he should keep his mouth shut. I'd taken enough of his crap about my relationships already. He had made a concerted effort to make sure I remained single and only interested in the company, to the point where I'd pretty much given up on romance. It was especially rich given his interest in Susan, my best friend. I opened my mouth to snap at him but Johnny was way ahead of me.

"Don't talk to her like that," Johnny stated in a terrifyingly calm voice as he stood up from the floor threateningly. Victor turned his gaze upon him.

"And you, who are you to be talking to me like this after I found you on top of my little sister?" Victor scowled.

"Lay off it Victor, I can be with whoever I damn well please," I decreed.

"Oh, Val. You know, I saw this coming back in the day. Don't think no one noticed you two because I certainly did. And I didn't like it, so I asked a favor of an old friend of mine," Victor informed us with a malevolent smirk.

"What do you mean you asked a favor?" I growled. Johnny stepped closer to me and pulled me to him by my waist.

"I tried to prevent this because I knew he'd end up hurting you anyway, it would just take longer than with all the other girls. So I sped up the process to lessen the hurt. I did what any big brother would do—I protected you," Victor divulged, his voice deceptively kind and companionable.

Regardless of what Victor claimed I got the feeling that there was something sinister going on. I unconsciously huddled closer to Johnny, a tense shudder traveling up and down my spine.

"But it appears it didn't work, or maybe you were just too stupid to stay away the first time," Victor snarled. I felt an urge to back away slowly, but remarkably managed to keep my body still in Johnny's arms.

"I'm not gonna say it again, Vic. Don't talk to her like that," Johnny growled menacingly. His protective instincts were kicking in—big time—and I honestly couldn't say that I minded it one bit.

"Why can't I be happy, Victor? I've done so much for you but you won't ever let me just be happy. If you think I'm going to leave you because I have him than you're wrong. I may love him, but I love you too. You're my brother, Vic, and I'd never abandon you," I declared, my eyes softening as I realized what was really going on in Victor's head. His insecurities had taken over all rational thought.