20) The Search

Johnny POV

I was no idiot. So obviously, the first place I looked for Victor was at the house he had shared with Susan. Imagine my surprise when I found out that he had sold the house entirely out of anger with Sue. When I saw that the house was no longer his, I slammed my open hand on the steering wheel of my rental car. I miss my cherry red baby.

I was trying not to draw too much attention to myself in case the press or Victor's people were watching, though admittedly the two went hand in hand. After that useless endeavor, I checked the clock in the car. 3:37. I had, like a moron, slept in until about one. Yes, I know, it's terrible, but I stayed out late drinking and couldn't fall asleep for the worrying.

So now I was left with four hours until dark, a missing girlfriend, and no idea where to begin to look for her, other than maybe confronting Victor at his office. But wait, does he have an office anymore? Is the company lost or just bankrupt? What's even happening anymore? What is life?

Then I remembered. Didn't Val say something about Victor's yacht? That would be an indiscreet place to hold a kidnapped sister, I suppose. I quickly drove away from the house and to the docks, hoping that by some miracle my hunch was right.

Needless to say, it wasn't. I found myself disappointed and unlucky once again, just with a different location. I had wasted the better part of three hours looking for the ghost boat. Victor had a yacht alright, but just like the house, he sold it—I suppose because it reminded him of Susan. Or because he's a broke and bankrupt douche.

I was so confused and I didn't know what I could do. I couldn't ask Reed or Sue for help, because they were on a date or something of the like somewhere. Ben was off sulking at some bar, most likely, but he was the only one I could think to turn to. I knew he cared about Val just as much as the rest of us, and I thought it may be smart to use him to muscle Victor's apartment out of Leonard.

So I called him. Despite our petty pasts, I swallowed my pride for Valerie's sake and dialed Ben's number, hoping he'd be able to answer with his giant rock fingers. The phone rang ominously in my ear for what seemed like forever until I heard Ben's gravelly voice.

"What do you want Lava Girl?" He taunted me irritatedly.

"Valerie," I gasped. "She's missing. She never came home last night. I think Victor has her, but I don't know where he is."

"Hold up, flame boy. Are you telling me that Vic kidnapped his own kid sister?" Ben inquired.

"Yes, he was trying to split Val and I up again. I think he has something planned. Something sinister. But Valerie stayed at his place last night, and she never made it back home. She doesn't have her suit, either," I explained.

"Would you believe that I was just talking to him?" He asked me.

"What? What did he say? Did he mention Val?" I asked rapidly, sitting up in my seat.

"No, nothing about Val. But he did look pretty smug, like a cat that just ate the canary," Ben informed me. "If she was at his place, why haven't you checked there?"

"I don't know where the bastard's apartment is. He sold his house, and I didn't even know he had an apartment," I defended.

"Yeah, well I don't know where it is, either, pal. He hasn't been inviting me over for little slumber parties," he joked.