The Little Girl in the Red Cape

A little girl's parents went out for a business dinner so they hired a babysitter to watch her.

"Can I have some ice-cream?" the little girl, Holly, asked after diner.

"Sure," the babysitter, Beatrice, said.

"Where's the freezer?" Beatrice asked.

"In the basement, so are the nuts, candy, cherries, and stuff," Holly answered.

When Beatrice went down to get the ice-cream, she looked out the window to see a little girl standing outside. This didn't strike her as too suspicious and she simply brushed it off.

After she had given Holly her ice-cream, Holly asked, "Can I have some hot fudge on this please?"

"Sure," Beatrice replied.

After Beatrice went back into the basement to retrieve the hot fudge, she looked out the same window to see the same little girl, only wearing a red cape. She absentmindedly wondered if the girl was playing dress-up as she trudged back upstairs.

"Got it," Beatrice deadpanned after setting the hot fudge in the microwave and putting the thick chocolate goop onto the ice-cream.

"Can I please have some nuts on this please?" Holly asked.

"Really?" Beatrice asked.

"Puh-lease?" Holly asked, using puppy-dog eyes.

"Fine," Beatrice sighed, already heading back down the stairs. As she got the nuts out of a small cabinet in the wall, she looked back out the window to see the same little girl in the red cape, holding a knife.

As Beatrice ran upstairs she decided she was calling the police.

"Ooh! Thank you!" Holly squealed happily from her perch on her pink Disney Princess booster seat.

"Uh-I-I-yeah. Hey Holly, I need you to-"

"Oh no! I forgot! Can I have a cherry on top please?"

Not wanting to alarm Holly, Beatrice decided that she would go get the cherries, then call the police after locking herself and Holly in the bathroom. There's no way the little girl could get inside if the windows and doors were all locked.

After slowly descending the stairs, Beatrice opened the freezer with shaky arms. Daring to peek out the window, she closed her eyes before staring out it. The same little girl, in the same red cape, holding the same knife, was there. Only now the knife had blood on it.

Running up the stairs, scared of what might await, she checked on Holly. Holly was dead, a small pool of blood forming on the floor under her. Beatrice ran into the bathroom and locked the door behind her before calling 911.

When the police arrived, the tearful mother and father were with them. The mother approached Beatrice, sobbing uncontrollably.

"W-What happened?" the mother asked.

"Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! I-I saw this little girl with this red cape and a knife outside your basement window," Beatrice explained, shaking uncontrollably.

The mother looked at her, wide eyed.

"We-We don't have any windows in our basement, only mirrors......"