Chapter 4

Our aimless walking eventually led us to the diner. "You hungry?" I asked. Ponyboy nodded. "Agreed," I told him as we walked in. We sat in a small booth towards the back of the diner. A woman came over to us with two menus in hand. "How can I help ya, drink-wise?" She asked. I knew about Pony's love for Pepsi, so I ordered two.

A minutes of silence passed until I spoke up. "So, uh, anything interesting ever happen while I was gone?" I asked, referring to when I was in the cooler. "Yeah. Remember Dallas Winston and Johnny Cade?" He asked. I nodded. "Well, they're...gone now. Both in the same night." His faced dimmed and I frowned. "'Mind me asking how they passed?" I asked quietly. "Not at all. You heard about Johnny and me running away, right? That night he killed the soc?" I nodded briefly. "Well, the church we were stayin' in, it caught fire. Burnt Johnnycake real bad."

"And, uh, the night of the rumble, Dallas and I went to see Johnny and- and he died." I didn't say anything. "An' Dallas, boy, he couldn't take that. Johnny Cade was the only thing he ever loved. He lost it. Robbed a gas station, and was on the run from the fuzz. We saw him die. We saw him get shot."

"Oh. Sorry." "It's not your fault, Curly, no need to apologize." "I know, I'm sorry for having you retell it." I said. "It's fine. I've been gettin' better with it day by day." We were interrupted by the waitress with our drinks. She smiled at us, and I smiled back briefly.

  "So..." I tried to start a new conversation. "How're your brothers? Is Sodapop still working at the DX?" I asked. "They're good, and yeah, he is." Back to awkward silence. Our food had come a while ago; we were now waiting for the check. Once it came, we were left to walk around some more.

  An idea finally popped into my head. "Hey, um, d'ya wanna go to my house? We can find something to do there," I asked. "Sure, sounds good."

((AN: Liking the story so far? Hopefully  you are~~ Tell me what ya think of it!))