Chapter 6: Secrets

Peeta doesn't bring any new bottles into the house. Even when he visits Haymitch, I think he stays away from the white liquor. Sometimes when our paths cross, I get close enough to smell - or rather not smell - his breath.

No liquor.

I appreciate his efforts. I'm sure that it's not easy for him. I've seen the effects of withdrawal from white liquor before in a few of my mother's patients. I know it's not pleasant, and I never expected Peeta to do this for my children. I never even expected him to do this for himself. I'm not sure who he's doing it for. He does seem sick on some days, with trembling hands and a desperate sheen in his eyes. But the fog passes. I suppose he wasn't as far down the road to alcoholism as I'd thought.

Haymitch comes over for dinner. Having seen the state of his kitchen, I am more than happy to provide him with a nutritious meal, too. I haven't forgotten what I owe him. I also haven't forgotten that he's seen my naked, starving body, but thankfully he doesn't bring that up. Instead, he seems intent on teasing Peeta mercilessly. Through their jests, it's not hard to see the bond that exists between the two victors.

Haymitch arrives unannounced, but not every day. When he's here, he's taken to drinking water at dinner instead of white liquor. He still drinks after he goes home, but at least he keeps it out of the house.

It's strange how quickly I've developed a sort of ownership of the house.

The days pass. We've all settled into a comfortable routine. Ivy sleeps most of the night. Arrow is no longer afraid of the dark in his large room. We visit Prim and her family, and I'm relieved to see that she and her children have put on some weight. The bread from the bakery must be helping, along with the food I stuff into my backpack whenever I can.

A sober Peeta is much easier to relate to. He teaches me how to play poker. After three nights, I master the game well enough to beat him. He huffs, and says it's only beginner's luck. When I tell Haymitch about it, not even trying to hide my smirk, he guffaws and says that he wants to play, too. Haymitch says that Peeta sucks at poker, but there's no way I could beat him. So we play.

Haymitch's smile disappears gradually as I beat the crap out of them both.

"This is embarrassing, Haymitch," Peeta complains. "How many times have we played poker with the other Victors in the Capitol?"

I smirk. I'm a terrible liar, but it turns out I still have what they call a "poker face". I was also good at math in school. Besides, I can tell when Peeta's lying. He looks too closely at his cards, and sometimes he grinds his teeth. Haymitch is the more unpredictable liar, but he's rash, and often makes mistakes. He also underestimates me, which is his downfall.

It's a dark and rainy tonight, and the power is out. It doesn't happen a lot in the Victors' Village, unlike in the Seam. Peeta looks uneasy, but he won't say why. He only mutters something about District 5. We've lit candles, and we play poker as usual. There's no sign of Haymitch.

"Gale and I used to play chess at night," I suddenly say. I don't know why. I never talk to Peeta about Gale, unless he's listening in on the stories I tell Arrow.

Peeta loses the chips he was holding in his hand on the table. "Oh." He clears his throat. "Was he a good chess player?"

"Better than me, at least." I smile. "He was a strategist. He could think much further ahead, but I can only plan for the next two or three moves."

"Sounds like I'm at your level." I look at him. He's rearranging his few remaining chips on the table. He doesn't look up. "Would you like to play chess one night?"

My answer is immediate and spontaneous, "No." I can't explain to him why. Perhaps I can't even explain it to myself. I can't help but notice how he's clutching the edge of the table with his left hand so hard his knuckles are white. "But I like playing poker with you," I continue softly.