Chapter 13: The true survivor

Peeta's POV

Cashmere and Finnick want the grand tour of 12. Haymitch, who has surprisingly come over for breakfast, guffaws and says that won't take long. Katniss scowls and looks down at her plate. But I don't miss the sidelong glances she sends Cashmere when she thinks no one sees her.

When we pass each other in the kitchen, it's out of habit that my fingers brush against the small of her back. It's only for an instant, but Finnick notices. He winks at me, and his eyes twinkle at Katniss. She blushes furiously and almost drops her plate.

There may not be much to see in 12, but it's a beautiful day. Why not make the most of it? My guests and I decide to go with Katniss, Ivy and Arrow to the Town. Katniss looks uncomfortable at my suggestion, but doesn't object. Arrow is excited to show off Finnick to his friends at school. The two of them have really hit it off. "Perhaps you could come to school and tell my class about 4, Finnick!" he says, his gray eyes shining.

"If your teacher says yes, I'd love to do that, Arrow," Finnick says. "I can tell them about fishing. How does that sound?"

"Cool!"

"Mrs. Grayson might not say yes, Arrow," Katniss says. It doesn't look like Arrow is listening, though.

Finnick dresses casually, in light brown chinos and a white shirt, which is of course buttoned down too low. Still, he doesn't look completely out of place in 12. Cashmere, on the other hand, does. She doesn't wear high heels - she's survived the Hunger Games, after all, so she knows she needs comfortable shoes for walking around all day. Still, the pink designer dress she's wearing, though casual - even plain - by Capitol standards, isn't like anything in 12. She shows skin, but not too much - Cashmere is always classy. Add blonde curls, manicured nails and a pair of big sunglasses, and she looks very glamorous indeed.

I don't miss Katniss's scowl. She pretends not to notice Cashmere as she wraps Ivy on her back. Her motions are smooth, practiced, and she gets her daughter up in no time. Cashmere raises an eyebrow. "Practical," she says.

"Huh?" Katniss says, confused.

Cashmere nods at Ivy. "Wearing Ivy on your back like that. She seems to like it, too."

Cashmere takes Ivy's little hand, and Ivy giggles. Ivy loves Cashmere. Katniss looks like she can't decide whether or not she should smack Cashmere in the face. Thankfully she doesn't. Instead she pretends as though she needs to check Arrow's bag, putting some distance between Cashmere and her daughter. "Yes, it is. Although it's also a matter of necessity in 12. No one in the Seam can afford prams."

"Cinna should see this," Cashmere says. "I bet he has all sorts of exclusive fabrics that would look divine."

"Well, in 12 we usually choose function over divinity," Katniss says dryly. Cashmere doesn't answer. Katniss avoids my eyes as we leave the house.

Haymitch tags along, too. He tells Finnick and Cashmere stories from 12 that are definitely not the kind that Arrow should hear, but at least hetries to make them sound as innocent as possible. Cashmere laughs, hooking her arm through his as we walk. Haymitch and Cashmere have always gotten along, although I'm not quite sure why. I know he's never slept with her, because I asked her once. Perhaps that's a part of it.

We follow Arrow to school, and that's when we get the first taste of what this is going to be like. Haymitch and I are victors, but everyone in 12 is used to seeing us - drunk, mostly. We're hardly glamorous in the eyes of our district.

Cashmere and Finnick, on the other hand, are the very definition of glamour. Arrow basks in the glow of the two career victors, even if they only spend about ten minutes in the school yard signing autographs and talking to the children before the first class. Finnick talks to Arrow's teacher, and agrees to come and talk about 4 and teach the children some knots next week. Mrs. Grayson looks like she's about to faint, and Haymitch and Cashmere are barely able to contain their laughter.