Chapter 15: Explode II

Peeta's POV

Even after I have opened my eyes, I see their faces. I gasp for breath, my heart still racing in my chest.

But Katniss is here, sleeping in my arms. I cling to her, and as I hold her tighter, the remains of Cato's face being torn apart by mutts somewhat retreats into the background... Because she's here.

She's naked, and her rounded breast is pressed against my lower arm. I can feel how her chest moves up and down, slowly and rhythmically. She is warm, small, and soft. So soft. I lie behind her, our bodies are so close as I bury my nose in her hair. I breathe in her scent as I revel in her heat. My index finger trails along her side. Her skin is smooth and unblemished.

I shift my body, and when I do, she rolls onto her back. She stirs, but she doesn't wake. My mouth finds hers in a kiss, and I feel her smiling against me. My tongue meets her closed teeth, and I move my lips against hers, wanting her to open for me. She seems to hesitate at first, but then her tongue meets mine, and she sighs into my mouth.

I move to lie on top of her, my weight pressing her body into the mattress as we kiss. Her hands roam over my shoulders and she tangles her fingers in my hair. A groan escapes from her throat as I press my groin against her and she arches her back, breaking the kiss.

She gasps for breath, and for the first time, her eyes open. They are smoky. Silvery, almost metallic. Sleepy. She stares at me, frowning. "Peeta..." she says, but no more words come.

I rest my weight on my elbows and look down between us. She's not like the Capitol women. Where they are smooth, she has hair. I reach my hand down to touch it, feeling the coarse curls. I love how it feels, so different from the softer hair on her head. I part her thighs with my knee and I can smell her. Her scent is heady. I slide down her body and settle between her legs. I hold her open with my hands and breathe deeply. She's resting her weight on her elbows, the upper half of her body lifted up from the mattress as she looks down at me. Her eyes meet mine for a moment before my tongue first touches her. I run the tip of my tongue through her folds, savoring her taste, and her body tenses. I look up briefly and find that she's still staring at me, her eyes wide, pupils huge. Her mouth is half open. I hold her gaze as my finger trails circles over her clit. I smile to myself as she closes her eyes and her head falls back.

I push two fingers into her and bring my mouth back to her. I want to find that spot, the one that drives her wild. Her hips buck up, but I pin her down on the bed with a hand over her belly. I look up, my tongue never leaving her body, but I can't see her face now. All I can see over the little patch of hair as my tongue moves against her are her breasts, the underside of her chin and jaw - and of course her hair, covering the pillow as she grinds the back of her head against it. There's a shiny mark on her skin - a tattoo of a white climbing rose. It winds from her shoulder, over her breast, crossing over her belly and going down to the curve of her hip.

My cock is throbbing insistently. I'm so close to coming already. I try to slow my breathing and take control, but it's hard to focus.

I move up from between her legs, my chin wet from her arousal. Her skin is flushed, her pupils huge, her blonde hair is everywhere on the pillow. Blonde? I blink, twice. No. I exhale in relief. Her hair is dark, wild, and tangled. With a groan of my own, I push her thigh up against her body and I kiss her neck. The shiny floral design is darker now, almost purple, like a bruise. With one forceful movement of my hips, I enter her. She gasps, and arches under me again. She's hot and tight and wet. We are a beautiful mess of limbs and sweaty skin.

I fuck her slowly at first, but I quickly pick up speed. My breath is short and heavy. She moans, louder when I find the right angle, going deeper. I inhale sharply and turn my head away. I smell peaches. I fucking hate peaches.

I bend, finding a spot just below the mark on her neck, and bite down on her. Hard. These Capitol bitches always like to have something to show to their friends the next morning.

She cries out under me, her body suddenly stiff and tense. Her hands are on my back, and she draws her fingernails over my skin. It hurts, but in a delicious way. My lips find hers again in another crushing kiss. I'm so close, I'm fucking her so hard. She gasps and writhes underneath me. I can't keep my eyes open anymore, so I close them as I feel myself getting closer with each thrust of my hips. My world has contracted - all I feel is her wet pussy pulsating around my cock and the pressure that's building deep inside me. I want to hold on for just a little bit longer, but I feel the familiar tingling and I know it's too late. I come, deep inside of her.

I collapse on top of her, exhausted. Struggling to catch my breath, I attempt to focus my gaze. I'm holding her wrists above her head with one of my hands. I don't remember doing that. I release my hold on her immediately.

My cock is still twitching inside of her in the aftermath of my orgasm. I take a deep, shuddering breath and pull out of her. I don't know how I find the strength to do so, but I roll off her.

She doesn't move. She's staring up at the ceiling. Finally, she turns her head to look at me. Her eyes are glassy, and her lips are swollen and slightly parted. I can't read her expression. I try to get up. I'm not quite sure why, but my legs don't seem to be able to carry me, so I sit down on the edge of the bed. My eyes drift down her unmoving body. The shiny tattoos are gone. Her olive skin is smooth and even, except where her neck meets her shoulder. There are a few long, red scratch marks on her upper body and thighs as well. When she catches me staring, she pulls the sheet up, covering her body.

I turn away and finally manage to get to my feet. I make my way into the bathroom and look at my reflection in the mirror. My skin is pale and grayish in the cold artificial light. My pupils are contracted. Fuck, it must be the drugs. I shake my head, trying to clear it. I turn around in front of the mirror and inspect my body. There are scratch marks along my back. There are four on each side, perfectly parallel, going from one of my shoulder blades and down towards the small of my back, where they meet in a V.

I force myself to breathe slowly as I try to make sense of what just happened.

Katniss doesn't have any tattoos.

I don't hear a sound from the bedroom. Has she fallen asleep? No, I don't think she would. She was calm, but perfectly alert. But, she didn't say anything.

I take a few steps back, until my back hits the wall. I slowly slide down until I land on the floor.

After a while, I can't say how long, I hear the door to my bedroom open. I don't hear her footsteps, because she's a huntress, but I know that she must be walking down the hallway. Moments later, I hear the shower in the other bathroom.

I throw on some clothes and go downstairs. It's very early in the morning, only just starting to get light. From the corner of my eye, I see our clothes from last night on the living room floor.

It's reaping day, and I can't stay in this house any longer.

The door to Haymitch's house is wide open, and I go inside. He's passed out on the kitchen floor. On the table are a collection of bottles. Most of them are empty, but two are almost full. Without hesitation, I take them and leave the house with Haymitch still snoring on the floor.

I start walking to the Hall of Justice. I might as well be early today. This afternoon I'll be on the train, away from here. Away from her. I'm poison for her. Yes, it's for the best.