Chapter 21: Katniss Hawthorne v. District 12

We sleep in the same bed every night. It's not just to ward off his nightmares anymore.

As the days pass, our limbs become increasingly intertwined. Our bodies are pressed against each other, not only when we wake up in the morning, but before we fall asleep, too. I revel in the scent of him as I press my nose against his neck. His hands travel over my back, stroking me gently. Not like a lover, but not quite like a friend, either.

My skin is on fire where he's touched me. I've never been this aware of my body, and I don't quite know what to do about it. I know that I want to feel him, but I don't quite know what to do. We have been together before, twice. But what should have been intimacy, which usually brings a couple closer together, ended up almost tearing us apart. We have a chance to fix things now. We need to get it right this time.

I follow Arrow to school. He doesn't really talk that much about his classmates these days. I had a meeting with the principal two weeks ago, but I'm still worried the other children might be picking on him. I see my son walk over to some of the boys in his class who are playing in the schoolyard. I want to stay longer to watch him, to make sure he's alright, but I'm afraid I'll look too conspicuous. If the other children notice, it could only make it worse for him. I can't help but notice the looks I'm already getting from some of the other mothers, though. Not one of them says hello to me.

I don't really want to face any more gossiping housewives right now, but I have a few errands to run in the Town, so I don't really have any choice. I've only walked a few hundred yards when I run into Posy. I haven't seen her since Reaping Day. She looks much more mature than she did just three months ago. She is an adult now, with a future - perhaps that's why?

"Posy!" I can't hide my surprise.

"Katniss." She greets me with a smile.

"It's good to see you," I tell her. "I haven't seen you in ages." It's my fault that we don't see each other, but she doesn't place blame, at least not out loud.

"It's been too long," she agrees.

"What are you doing in this part of the Town?" Posy doesn't have any reason to be near the school anymore.

"I was hoping you'd be here, actually," she says. She clears her throat nervously, but doesn't say anything else.

"I have a few errands in the Town, if you'd like to join me?" She nods gratefully. I wonder what's going on. Why would Posy seek me out? Whatever it is that she wants to talk to me about, it must be important. Important enough for her to be seen in public with me.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm... I'm getting married tomorrow."

I'm surprised to hear that her wedding is coming up so soon. I knew she was planning to get married in the fall, but I had hoped to hear of it earlier than the day before. I guess it goes to show how far I've drifted from the Hawthornes.

I force myself to smile. I am happy for her. I truly am. "Congratulations."

"Thank you." She smiles back, but I'm not quite sure if her smile is natural, either. "The toasting is on Sunday." All Seam toastings are on Sundays, because it's the only day miners have off from work. The groom will usually get a day off from work to sign the marriage certificate in the Justice Building, but most couples have the toasting on the following Sunday so that the other men in the family can attend. A couple isn't really considered to be married before the toasting in the eyes of 12.

She pauses. "I, uh... wondered if you and the children wanted to come to the toasting? It's at two o'clock, at my mother's house."

'You and the children.' That does clearly not include Peeta. It would be inappropriate for him to be at my sister-in-law's toasting, especially when her brother has been gone for less than a year, but I'm surprised by my sudden urge to have Peeta by my side at a family function. To be with him, not only in the privacy of the Victors' Village, but in public, too. But I know that we can't.