Chapter 22: Star-crossed lovers

Prim visits unexpectedly. Arrow is already at school. Peeta is out feeding Haymitch's geese. I'm relieved that he's not here. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the two of them to meet quite yet.

"Where are the twins?" I ask her.

"Mother's taking them for a couple of hours." Prim sits down by the kitchen table with a sigh. Ivy runs over to her and wants to sit on her lap, and Prim lifts her up and tickles her. "I really need some time to myself," she admits. "My husband works 12-hour shifts in the mines. I know you've been there too, but you only had to deal with one toddler at a time. I have two. And they are crazy."

I laugh. "So I guess you're not considering having another then?" I expect her to laugh too, but instead she looks sort of sheepish. "Prim?"

"We've been thinking about it," she confesses. "Thom really wants another one." She strokes Ivy's hair.

"And what about you?"

"I want another one, too. One, not two." Even though she rolls her eyes when she says it, I know what she's saying is true. She nearly died giving birth to Thomas and Ridge; it took her months to recover. And the first few years were rough, with little sleep - and little food, too.

"If you both want another baby..." My voice trails off. I know what the problem is. I've been there, too.

"It's another mouth to feed," she admits reluctantly. "And with everything else..." Prim knows she has to be careful when she speaks in this house, but she doesn't have to specify what she means. I understand.

I take her hand from across the table. "You know I'll do everything I can to help you." I won't let them starve. But I can't do anything to save their children from the reapings.

"I know." She shrugs. "Anyway, we're just thinking about it. We'll see. Well, enough about me. I came here to check on you." She studies my face closely. I squirm in my chair. She's making me feel like I'm one of her patients right now. "You look well. In fact, you are all rosy-cheeked," she says, raising an eyebrow. I blush furiously. There's no wondering why I'm rosy-cheeked. I don't know how to answer her, so I don't say anything. My fingers play nervously with the end of my braid.

She exhales slowly. "He's treating you well?"

My blush deepens even further, and I can't help but smile.

"That well, huh?" Prim lifts an eyebrow. "It's good to see you smile again, but I'm still not sure if this is a good idea. What if he hurts you again?" She looks worried now.

"He won't."

"And how exactly can you know that?" Prim sits back in the chair, crossing her arms over her chest.

"We've finally been able to talk about... well, a lot of things," I say. I hear myself and know how unconvincing that sounds, but I can't tell Prim about what Peeta does in the Capitol. I would be betraying Peeta's trust, and it could possibly put Prim in danger.

"What happens when something the Capitol does sets him off again, and he uses alcohol or drugs as a means to escape?"

"He doesn't drink or do drugs anymore." I shift uncomfortably in my chair. This is dangerous territory.

"Look, Katniss," she says, giving me a pointed look. "It's obvious that being a victor isn't as glamorous as they want us to think. Everyone in 12 should know that, just from seeing Haymitch and Peeta deteriorate, year by year." I stare down into my cup of tea. Even though she's right, she has no idea of the full extent of what Snow puts his victors through. "I'm not saying it's Peeta's fault that he was damaged by the Capitol, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to be with him. How can you trust him?"