Chapter 13~~True Feelings

Days passed and the strained relationship of Percy and I became more awkward and silent. I tried as hard as I can to avoid him. It seems as if everytime we're in the same room, I could feel undecisiveness and insecurity from him. I didn't wanna feel it, cause I, myself, have the same odd feelings.

It was a Saturday afternoon, a couple of days after my discovery of his leadership in the downfall of my father. I was about to return Midnight, my pegasus, back in his stable. I placed a hand on the door of the barn and was about to push it open when I heard voices inside. I gently leaned my ear against it and listened carefully.

"I just wish I knew what she was thinking!" I heard Percy's exasperated voice. I wanted to turn and leave, but something inside of me wanted to stay and listen to him speak.

"Why don't you ask her then?" Grover's voice replied.

Percy scoffed and I heard him sit on a pile of haystacks. "I wish. I mean, I try to make conversation, and for a few moments it's going perfect. But then she would suddenly change. As in, she would just stop smiling. Then, she would leave, as if she's trying to get away from me! I know girls have mixed emotions, but I never seen someone like Amber."

I felt that my heart was beating so loud that I was terrified that it would burst out of my chest and would cause Percy and Grover to discover my eavesdropping.

"Have you asked her friends?" Grover asked, and I heard a crunching of tin cans.

Percy must've shaked his head because I didn't hear him answer next. I closed my eyes and felt their emotions swirl around me. Grover's emotions was hunger and worry. Percy's was hurt, confused, and frustrated. I moved my stiff leg to leave, but my ear stubbornly remained by the door.

"How's things between you and Annabeth?" Grover changed the subject and I felt anticipation sweep through me.

"I broke up with her this morning," I heard Percy murmur, yet to me his voice was loud and clear. I couldn't believe it. I felt my heart beat faster and faster and my knees trembled as I listened for more. I had a feeling I was gonna get caught, but a part of me wanted to stay no matter what.

"What? Why?" Grover asked, surprised. "You two went through a lot! You two were meant to be together!"

Percy sighed and said, "To be honest I felt as if I wasn't in a relationship with her. I felt as if we were just together cause people wanted us to. You know, for publicity. I know, we've been through a lot. It's just that...I don't know. I can't understand what I'm feeling right now."

"Then why did I hear from Juniper that she saw you two kissing by a Maple tree?"

Embarassment filled Percy's emotions and he cleared his throat. "I just did that so she wouldn't start asking questions on why I've been guarding Amber when she was unconscious."

"You like Amber, don't you?"

Percy scoffed and said, "Why should I?"

"Just answer the question."

I pressed my ear harder till I felt it go numb, imagining Percy's face as he tried to explain his emotions. My arms were trembling. I wanted to leave. He was a distraction to my mission and my worst enemy.

"Wait," Percy said, and I felt a rush of alarm in his emotions.

"What?" Grover answered, feeling alarmed as well.

"Blackjack says there's someone at the door. He says she looked vaguely familiar." I heard Percy say followed by footsteps and I backed away, frightened. I dropped Midnight's ropes and ran away as fast as I can, not daring to turn back. My lungs tightened as I continued running.

Soon I found myself at the Strawberry fields, and I could feel Percy far back in the stables, probably surpised to see no one but a black horse, and yet I couldn't stop running. It was as if I was running from something unforgivable. I jumped over a large root as felt my knees buckle and I found myself staring at the hard ground as I fell down. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact, but there wasn't.

I opened my eyes and saw Zach stared down, smirking. "In a hurry?" He raised an eyebrow and carefully helped me stand up.

"I'm fine now," I panted and tried to pull away but he was too strong. I froze in his arms as I noticed a feeling of Zach's that I never noticed before.

It was love.