Chapter 28

Shout out to EVERYONE who reads my story!!! Y'all don't know how grateful I'm am that you guys read and vote! I've already planned out he whole rest of this story, and I'm super excited to find out what you guys think about it!!!!!!!

The next day, I walk out of the house alone. It feels weird walking down the sidewalk without Gerry. Alan waits for me by the giant oak tree, like always, and he slips his hand in mine.

"You okay?" He asks me quietly

"I'm fine" I assure him shakily.

He gives me a doubtful glance, but can't say anything because Emma walks out of her house and joins us.

We walk so silently, that I can hear tiny rock bits crunching under our shoes. We walk quietly up the stairs of the school, and sit down just above the shade line, like always. We keep silent, no one knowing what to say.

Alan has his arm around me, so I rest my head on his shoulder. I wasn't looking forward to sitting in my classes, especially since it seemed like everyone who walked by gave me a pitiful look.

"Hey! Caroline!" I hear. I look down the steps and see Elizabeth storming up them.

"Not today, Elizabeth." I say tiredly. My head hurt, and each one of my ribs hurt. I was not in the mood to deal with Elizabeth.

"No, now." She says, standing in front of me and crossing her arms. I sigh and lean my head back, closing my eyes. The sun was to bright.

"Hey!" Look at me when I'm talking to you!" She says, snapping her fingers in my face.

I gently nudge her hand away and adjust my seating position so that I'm leaning on Alan more comfortably. He was warm against the cold December air. The cold wasn't making my head feel any better.

She grabs my arm and yanks me to my feet.

"Get off your lazy ass and talk to me." She says. "You ugly bitch, you stole my boyfriend the went and got your cute brother hit by a truck."

I stare at her for a second, then Burst into tears. It's so unlike me, that people around us turn around, looking surprised. I'm extremely embarrassed about my sudden outburst, but I'm so stressed that I just don't care. There was too much going on. My brother was in the hospital, my head hurt, my chest hurt with every breath I sucked into my lungs (the sudden sobs didn't help either), we needed to win this next game, I need to stay after school to help file things for Boone, after that I have to go visit Gerry, then I have to study for all of my midterms, and I have to make dinner tonight, since my mom has to work, and my brain was already kinda fuzzy from the concussion and I slept about two hours last night. It all came crashing down on me at once, all being set off by Elizabeth.

Alan pulls me back down and wraps his arms around me. He rests his head on top of mine, and I attempt to calm myself down, because surely people are staring. I hear Elizabeth walk away, and I decide I've calmed myself down enough to come out of hiding.

"I'm okay. Seriously." I assure everyone, who is still staring. "The concussion just, uh, messed up my emotions."

They all slowly go back to their conversations, and I borrow Emma's makeup to fix my mascara, which I had smeared in my attempts to wipe my eyes.

I finish just in time, as the bell rings, and I have to go to coach Yoast's room.