Chapter 35

I freeze. Time around me speeds back up to normal.

"What just happened?" I ask Alan, because I just can't absorb the fact that we won.

"We won!" He tells me. Those words, coming from him, one of my best friends, knock me out of my trance.

"We won!" I exclaim, a little later than everyone else.

Boone and Yoast hug me, happily yelling in my ears.

Everyone in the crowd cheers like crazy, and it's so loud, I can't hear anything. I cheer too, overflowed with such an indescribably sense of joy. Tears flow down my cheeks, and I'm so happy, that I feel like I'm going to explode.

We all runout into the field, and Alan lifts me up, so that I'm sitting on his shoulder. We all cheer and jump as a team, while the Marshall team looks down at the floor.

I shake hands with the Marshall coach, then go back to cheering. Boone lifts up the game ball, and the sense of joy rushes over me again.

A bunch of the guys rush over and lift me up. I have an idea. I jump, do my flip, and they catch me. Alan hugs me again, even though it's kind of uncomfortable in his big football uniform. He grabs my face and kisses me, making the guys around us cheer even more. I kiss him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. It's kind of hard, because we're both smiling uncontrollably, and the crowds had run into the field, making it even more crowded.

I couldn't believe it. 13-0. A perfect season. And it really had been.