Chapter 36

The next day at school is crazy. Everyone is high on our win, making it a pretty good day for some laughs. No one seemed to realize hat it was my play idea that one the game, but I didn't mind. I was just happy that it worked. Elizabeth left me alone all day, and I even saw a few other girls wearing jeans. Apparently Caroline was the new cool.

That night, a blizzard came in, covering the roads in a thick, two-foot layer of snow. School was cancelled, obviously, so I made plans with some of the guys. Now, we're high schoolers, so our judgment isn't the best. We pludged around in two foot snow, for miles and miles, looking for the perfect sledding hill, they were all either too short, too crowded, or not steep enough. We're just about to give up when there it is. I look down the hill, and don't see any kids. It's steep, and pretty tall. And remember, we're stupid teenagers, so we all get on one sled. Alan, Petey, Blue, and Sunshine sit on one sled, and I push off and jump in the back. Except I miscalculated my jump, and ended up on top of them all. The sled spun around, and eventually rolled over, sending us all spiraling down at about a hundred miles an hour. We all land in about he same general area. There's 2 feet of snow, so we're safe, right? Well, wrong. We start sitting up, and freeze. The unmistakable sound of ice cracking. Alan, who I had basically landed on top of, clears away some snow, and we can clearly see the layer of ice underneath us. One at a time, slowly, we stand up. Blue, being the heaviest, does so first, followed by the rest. I have to stand up last, and the ice has cracked so much, that I don't know how the heck it hasn't crumbled underneath our feet. Alan pulls me up, slowly, slowly, I get to my feet. We all sigh in relief. Bam! The ice crumbles away, and we sink into the freezing cold water. It's so cold, that my bones hurt. I scamper to get out, grabbing at anything to pull myself out of he waist-high water. Sunshine gets out first, and pulls us all out. We all shiver uncontrollably and look around. There's not a soul in sight. I grab the sled out of the pond and we trudge through the snow. My toes feel like they're falling off, and the ends of my hair, which had gotten wet in my desperate attempts to escape, brush against my back with each step. Finally, we reach a house, and since we're all about ready to freeze in place, we knock on the door. I suddenly panic, because what if it's a crazy guy or something. But then the door opens, and Sheryl is standing here.

"Sheryl!" I say in relief

"Who is it?" She asks

I take the scarf off hat I had wrapped around my face, and she recognizes me. She lets us in, and Coach Yoast comes out of the kitchen to greet us.

"To what do I owe this delightful surprise?" he asks

"Uh, that pond that you have down that way." I say

"Ohh" he says. "Yeah, I get kids every year that fall into the pond." He takes all of our jackets and wet clothes and puts them in the dryer. He Hans us all a mug of hot chocolate, and starts a fire in the fireplace. I rub my toes back to life, thankful for the many layers of socks that I wore.

The hot chocolate warms me up from inside, and pretty soon, I'm feeling ten times better.

"How's Gerry?" Coach asks me

"Gerry's doing good. He's getting really good at shot-put." I tell coach

"I'll go watch him practice one day." Yoast decides.

+hey guys so I just wanted to update this one last chapter so that you guys know that I'm not done writing!!! That's right, I have more to write. This story is NOT over. Goodnite