Chapter 9

Cosette turned around, fearful to see Marius's face. She did not know what his reaction would be at her attempt. Would it be anger? Sadness? Or the worst of all of them, disappointment? However, Marius's face only seemed to be one of shock and disbelief. Cosette stuttered out a bit, "Marius... H-ho-how did you find me here?"

Marius replied, "I stopped by your house to check in on you because you left rather early. You left the door open, and I saw that you got into the liquor cabinet... I kind of just took a guess from there... And thank God I did. Cosette, what is going on?"

Cosette looked down, unable to meet his eyes. She lied through her teeth, "N-nothing Marius... It is really nothing..."

Marius did not believe her. No one would believe that. His voice became a bit firmer, "Cosette, I just saw you try to jump off the cliff... Clearly, something is going on." Marius was truly worried. What was going on? Was it his fault? If so, he wanted to know. Even if it had nothing to do with him, he wanted to help her get through it.

Cosette whispered shakily, "I-I I can't do it..."

Marius spoke calmly, "What can't you do?"

Cosette fell to the ground, letting tears fall from her face. She yelled out, "Anything! I can't take living anymore... Even the thing that used to calm me down doesn't work anymore! I just can't keep walking around, thinking that things are going to get better! Because it's just getting worse."

Marius knelt down next to her, and pulled her close. He stroked her hair gently, and whispered in her ear, "Shh... It's going to be alright. I'm here." He continued to do this for a long time, but Cosette's crying did not seem to lessen.

Cosette pulled back a bit, "I know you say that you're here, but what about later Marius? You're going to get sick of me eventually, and my mood is probably going to worsen over time. And you could be spending your time with much more important people. People who are sane and sober... I'd be doing you a favor if I just left..." She continued on and on about all of the reasons that she would be doing him a favor by just leaving him alone.

Marius had had enough. He could not let Cosette talk about herself this way. He had grown too close to her to lose her now. He wanted to take all of these thoughts out of her head, and let them fly away, or simply melt them out of her system. It hurt him to know that Cosette was feeling this way, and he wished that he could just fix it all to where Cosette could be alright.

Cosette looked down, "I don't know why you stick around Marius..." That was when Marius took her chin in his hand, and kissed her.

I'll Cover Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें