Questions

70k+ woot woot! Thanks guys! I'm currently out of town.. or out of the country I shall say, but I wanted to get this up. It's short, so bare with me! And unedited. This'll be the only time I post while I'm out. And since it's only the first day, I wanted to post it now.

Enjoy guys, I promise it's going to get better.

The house was quiet… to quiet for my liking. The only sounds you could hear clearly were the icemaker coming from the fridge, and the dryer in the laundry room. My dad was out running errands before tonight, and Mason was at practice.

It was my 21st birthday, but it didn’t feel any different. Everyone knew I didn’t drink or do anything that a 21 year old should look forward to doing.

I felt that for being only 21, I had seen way too much & known too much. It wasn’t normal for someone my age to feel as overwhelmed as I do now –or have been feeling lately, especially. I had things on my mind that I probably shouldn’t have. This time, I wasn’t going to blame anyone else for all of this because it was my own choice. But sadly, it was easier said than done to clear all of this out overnight.

If it weren’t for Cassie’s constant begging to my dad behind my back, I would most likely be out for a run right now then cuddled up in front of the TV watching shows I had the sudden need to catch up on. I didn’t even know about my own party until this morning that way there was no possible way for me to object to the idea beforehand.

Dad sent me up to the attic to check and make sure that we had enough chairs and tables and if I were kind enough, to dust them. Go figure, I have to clean stuff for my own get together for my birthday. To be honest, I didn’t even know what my dad kept up here. I didn’t have anything up here for me to come just hang out. Why would anybody want to hang out in an attic anyway?

Either my dad didn’t know whether or not this where he left the tables last, or they were simply in plain sight –I couldn’t find a single grey table. I checked under every cover, up against the walls, almost everywhere and I couldn’t find them. Sort of thankful, I gave up on my search and started my way back down to call my dad to let them know I couldn’t find them.

But there was a box.

A box I’d never seen before in my life, with a name I haven’t seen written in print in such a long time.

Beth’s Mementos

My body froze felt close to being paralyzed, as I stood there, attempting to take in the sight of the unknown box that had been sat up here for many years, and I never had a clue about it. The taste of metallic spilt onto my taste buds is when I realized I’d been biting my lip a little too hard. So many emotions ran through. I wanted to scream, yell –even cry, but I knew that would never happen.

The box was sealed, but it definitely looked like it hadn’t been touched in a long time, considering all the dust that made a home all over the box. The wooden floor below me creaked as I walked slowly over to it. I pondered my next move thoroughly. Did I really want to know what was in her box? Why hadn’t my dad gotten rid of it? Better yet, why didn’t she take it with her?