Secrets

First things first, I am so sorry I haven't updated. I've had some things going on with school that I needed to get taken care of first, and well now that it's all cleared up, I can get back to updating. I only have about 6 days before I go back, so I'll try to do as much as I can in the meantime. I don't know how hectic this semester will be, but I will definitely try my best.

GUYS. This chapter is super important, so make sure you read it all. It's a bit short, but you'll understand what I'm getting at once you're done reading it.

Same with the thoughtful comments. Best comment gets a dedication in the next chapter :)

"Did dad give you a list of what we needed?" I asked Mason as we climbed into the car.

Sometimes when my dad didn't have enough time to do grocery shopping, he'd send Mason and I. He always made sure we went together to prevent us from getting excess things. I hated grocery shopping with a passion. I was always afraid I would get the wrong stuff.

"Yeah, he did. I think he learned last time when we had to "memorize" everything off the top of our heads," he chuckled, pulling the list out from his pocket.

I missed spending time with my brother. With everything that had been going on, I was putting him on the back burner. Not purposely of course, but I didn't want him all caught up in the drama he didn't need to be a part of. The last thing he needed to know was that he wasn't as normal as he thought.

"Do you feel like doing anything today?" I asked in attempts to find something to do with tonight. Just us. No Zayn, no Amy or Henley... and obviously not Cassie. Just some Akanu Siblings bonding time.

His face beamed, a wide smile spreading across his face. "Just us though?"

I nodded. "Just us. We can go to the batting cages or something. We haven't done that in awhile. What do you think?"

"Yeah," he replied. "That would be fun."

I glanced over at him quickly, reaching for his head to mess up his hair. "I miss you little brother. Sorry we haven't been spending much time together. I've just been caught up with, er, school stuff. So, after dinner it'll just be you & I."

"You don't have to lie to me," he mumbled.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. Did he know? Who could've told him?

"I know you and Zayn have this 'thing' now, which is pretty weird, but I understand. If you're happy, I'm happy. You needed something like that in your life."

I breathed out in relief, happy that he wasn't talking about what I was obviously thinking of.

"I am happy, Mase. Sure it was a bad start, but he makes me happy," I smiled, keeping my eyes on the road.