Chapter 9

Hey, guys! Sorry it's taking so long, but we've been busy... and lazy, haha. We've gotten quite a few reads on this story, so if you can please vote and comment! We only have nine votes and really want more! It would mean so much! Thanks :D

Christie's POV

The clock ticked in the background, driving me closer to insanity every second. People moved around me but they hardly even registered in my thoughts. I was in the waiting room of the hospital, and Florence was in the room with her friends Beam and Freddie.

I know I can leave, go home and relax. This has absolutely nothing to do with me, and it’s none of my business. But I couldn’t just leave. I didn’t even want to. I don’t even know Freddie and Beam but what happened to them is terrible, and I know if I’m upset about it them Florence is ten times worse than me because they’re her best friends. That’s why I’m staying. Because whether Florence even knows I’m still here doesn’t matter, what matters is that she’s not alone. Florence is a cool person and I can see myself and her being friends. I feel bad for her because I do have a heart, I’m not just a pretty face.

After a while of just sitting in the waiting room I needed to use the bathroom so I got up to find one. I walked past Freddie and Beam’s room, and the door was open. Their parents were there, and an old lady with Thai features. Florence was holding her hand, and I assumed it was Beam’s grandmother. I debated going inside, it wasn’t my place but I wanted to make sure they were coping, at least a little. But I chose not to, they don’t know me and they probably wouldn’t want a stranger in there with them. They’re all family and they don’t need anyone interrupting them.

After a visit to the bathroom and drink vender I made my way back to my seat in the waiting room. On my way there I walked past their room again and saw them all asleep. Florence was in the grandmother’s arms, leaning her head on the lady’s shoulder. Freddie’s parents and Beam’s parents were asleep holding each other.

I smiled slightly before walking to my seat. I stared at the bottle of water I had just bought until someone sat down next to me. My head snapped up to see who and I was surprised when I saw Nate.

                “Oh, hey Nate.” I blushed, fixing my hair.

                “Hey Christie, what’re you doing here?” He asked.

                “I brought Florence here, and she was pretty upset so I thought I’d stay, so she’s not alone. I know she has Beam and Freddie’s parents and Grandma but I don’t know, I just thought…”

'“That was very nice of you Christie; I didn’t think you were like this.”

                “Like what?”

                “Nice.”

                “I’m not like Rhonda. I do care about people.”

                “I can see that now.”

                “Please don’ tell Rhonda. She’ll tell me off.”

                “Why would she do that?” He asked, his head tilting to the side slightly. Not a lot, but enough to make me a little flustered. Not now Christie!

                “Oh er, y’know, just it ruins our reputation a bit.”

                “I would say it adds to it.”

                “Well thanks, but please just don’t tell her I was here all night with Florence.”

                “Ok, I won’t.”