-9-

"I have to go outside."
I had already turned around, but Layla jumped off the window sill to stop me.
"Are you insane?" She exclaimed.
"Like outside outside?"
"The only outside I know."
"You can't."
I looked at her firmly.
"My family is out there. They could be hurt. Or lost. I'm the only one who'd miss them"
Layla's grip was starting to loosen.
"Okay. But you're not going alone. I'll come with you."
I smiled gratefully.
But then I realized, with me and Layla gone, there'd be no one left to make sure the kids were safe. To maintain order in the diner, make sure nobody tried to start another fight.
When I told her my concerns, Layla said, "Keith and Nathan can do that. Or maybe one of those guys." She nodded towards the college boys.
"You're right. I'll go ask Tyson, you find Keith."
Her grip tightened again.
"Did you say Tyson? Tyson Parrish?"
"I don't know his last name."
"Never mind. Let's just stick to Keith and Nathan."
"No..." I protested, "What about Tyson? Why can't I ask him?"
Something changed in Layla's face. For a moment, it seemed like she was going to tell me the truth. But then, she turned around.
"Just trust me."
I didn't want to trust her.
We'd exchanged maybe ten sentences in the seven hours since we'd met and though I hadn't known Tyson for that much longer, at least we'd had a decent conversation. We had talked for nearly an hour.
I pulled myself free from Layla's grip and paced towards the crowd.
I had to maneuver through a bunch of people but I eventually found him sitting across from the girl who'd ordered the Starbucks drink earlier.
"You look smart," he told her.
I inched forward, straining to hear him over the murmur.
"Thought I read somewhere that if you find someone beautiful..."
Did he just...
"You're bound to think they're beautiful too."
You've got to be kidding me.
"So I guess I'm biased."
I felt like I'd swallowed a brick.
"You think I'm pretty?"
"Prettiest girl in the room." He flashed his dimpled smile. His emerald eyes twinkled.
I wanted to punch him. Punch him harder than he'd punched me and I wouldn't apologize.
In the back of my mind, I knew I was overreacting, but after the day I'd just had, better judgement seemed to be playing hide and seek.
"Ignore him," I didn't have to turn to know it was Layla.
"He's..."
"Yeah," I plastered a smile on my face and spun. No time for boy trouble. We had more important stuff to do.
"Come," I said, "Let's go find your brother."

"You want me to do what?"
"It's only for a little while."
"Yeah, you say that, until you're out there getting killed by flying cars."
"I appreciate your concern, but we'll be fine. Also, I don't think you quite get what an earthquake is."
"Whatever. I'm not doing it."
I stepped a little closer.
"In the last twenty-four hours, I have witnessed a woman getting crushed by a jukebox, I have been punched in the face, I have been lied to, I have had several near-death experiences and I have no idea where my family is. So you don't get to say 'I'm not doing it.' "
Both siblings were quiet for a while. Then Keith started nodding.
"Okay," he said, "I'll do it."
I smiled a little at the thought of having intimidated this strange boy.
Layla filled him in on his responsibilities while I went to ask Nathan, who, unlike Keith, immediately agreed.
"Anything I can do to help."
He looked at Grace. I guess he understood how important family is.
"Well," Layla said, startling me. She had finished talking to Keith and walked, apparently very quietly, towards us.
"Then we're all good to go."
"I guess so," I looked out the window. The dark sky and destroyed buildings made for a terrifying landscape. The city I saw outside looked nothing like the one I'd grown up in. Suddenly, doubt tingled my consciousness, but I pushed it away.
My family was out there. And I was going to find them.

Before we headed outside, Layla and I made a quick pit-stop in the kitchen.
Since had no idea how long we'd be gone, we thought it'd be a good idea to bring some provision. I'd grabbed my pack from the break room and was now stuffing it with food. Cans of beans and peas, a packet of biscuits, a loaf of bread and a large, two-liter bottle of water.
Meanwhile, Layla was cramming as much as she could in her tiny purse. I saw her opening a cutlery drawer and pulling out a huge steak knife.
"Just in case," she explained as she stashed it away.
I was just grabbing some apples when the kitchen door swung open.
Peter ran into the kitchen, followed by Haley, followed by Nathan.
"I'm coming with you!" Peter exclaimed.
"Me to!" Haley chimed in.
I shook my head.
"It's too dangerous."
"You're not leaving me."
"It's safe here. I'm just going to find mum and dad and Cam and Greg. I'll be back before you know it."
Peter started searching through his pockets. It didn't take long for him to find what he was looking for.
"I have to come with you," he said, handing me the trinket.
"I have to give this back to Cam."
I studied the object in my hands. It was the TicTac container I'd given Cameron the night before. The one that contained his energy.
God, that seemed like aeons ago.
"He's my brother to, you know," Peter whispered.
I bit my lip. As much as I wanted Peter to stay in the diner, he was right. It wasn't just my family. And even though I had no idea of the risks that lay outside, I knew I would be there.
Frankly, I'd much rather keep Peter safe myself than leave him in the care of two guys I'd known for less than twenty-four hours.
"If you promise to listen to everything I say. And stay by my side at all times. Then it's okay."
Peter nodded and just as I was thinking I'd handled the situation pretty well, Haley spoke up.
"Then I'm coming to."
I wanted to protest, but Nathan beat me to it.
"No way!"
Haley glared at him.
"I'm going with Peter!"
"Haley, it's too dangerous."
"I'm seven. I can handle it."
Nathan looked at me and raised his eyebrows.
"Haley," I jumped in, "wouldn't you rather stay here, with your uncle and your mum?"
"Mum's not going to miss me..."
Nathan put his hand on her shoulder.
"But when she wakes up-"
"She's not waking up!" Haley interrupted, "She's been like this for hours and she still hasn't woken up. It's not going to happen anymore!"
She slapped away Nathan's hand and ran off, leaving us stunned in her wake.
-